Do any of you fine fellows like Rush?

Brian E. Balls

• Members

I first got into Rush with Signals and then worked backwards through their catalog. I was and still am a HUGH fan of everything before Grace Under Pressure. In fact I listened to Spirit of the Radio every single day that I got into the shower in the morning for five years. That means I've listened to the song over fifteen hundred times!

But,as far as I'm concerned, their last album was Signals, the lyrics were poignant and even though the guitar sounded buried it just fit the music anyway.

Every single album after that I've hated. Passionately. Either the lyrics weren't of the same quality as the earlier albums or the music just wasn't Rush. Just a vain attempt to be more poppy/mainstream in my opinion.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I first got into Rush with Signals and then worked backwards through their catalog. I was and still am a HUGH fan of everything before Grace Under Pressure. In fact I listened to Spirit of the Radio every single day that I got into the shower in the morning for five years. That means I've listened to the song over fifteen hundred times!

But,as far as I'm concerned, their last album was Signals, the lyrics were poignant and even though the guitar sounded buried it just fit the music anyway.

Every single album after that I've hated. Passionately. Either the lyrics weren't of the same quality as the earlier albums or the music just wasn't Rush. Just a vain attempt to be more poppy/mainstream in my opinion.

:cry:

• Members

I've been to hundreds of concerts since my first (in 1976). At least twelve of these have been Rush concerts. I try to see them every time they grace our fair state. I've only seen a couple other bands who even come close to being as entertaining. My wife has seen Rush at least ten times as well. She loves them almost as much as I.

I admit I haven't gotten into anything they've put out since Presto, until now. Snakes & Arrows is awesome. I hope they win the Grammy. They deserve it.

I've always tried to get my bands to learn a Rush song (even though I've usually been in dance bands). Nobody dances, but I sure love playing it, and I think "some" people (musicians?) appreciate the time and effort it takes to learn a Rush tune.

• Members

"All this machinery making modern music can still be open hearted,

not so coldly charted, it's really just a question of your honesty.

One likes to believe in the freedom of music, but glittering prizes

and endless compromises shatter the illusion of integrity."

Neil Pert - Spirit of the Radio

This has hungs on my studio wall for the past 15 years.

Dave

• Members

The theme of individualism has run through a number of their releases, such as your quote above or "2112" (Ayn Rand's pervasive theme). And Rush has stuck to this theme throughout their 30-year career. Whether you like 'em or not, they have largely stuck to their own sound, and that alone is admirable.

• Members

Wrong. Any good drummer ought be able to do such fills - and his bandmates who are equally responsible for the groove ought be there groovin' for him when he's done with said fill. If the bandmates can't manage that, it speaks directly to their lack of talent/skill/practice.

stop doing those 16 bar fills - they totally kill any chance of continuing the groove.

• Members

keep telling yourself that but the rest of us will just shake our heads walking away thinking "busy drummers suck"

...not to say that if neil was to do this it would not be cool and/or ruin the groove. problem is, most drummers just are not anywhere near his level.

like I said, love rush, can't stand drummers who think they are neil.

• Members

I fortunately never play with, or for that matter, hear drummers trying to emulate Peart.

As I've mentioned earlier in this thread, Peart's not my favorite drummer, and I find him to be a bit "stiff" for my personal tastes. That said, within the context of Rush, I do like what he does, and that's obviously the most important thing since that's the music he's playing!! (duh! :D ). So I can only imagine someone without adequate chops trying to pull that off...probably doesn't sound too good.

One group that will get me to reach for the "Off" Button every time is Dream Theatre. I don't find them interesting in any capacity, and am not impressed with their musical chops.

• Members

Rush themselves talk about this. On returning after months to rehearsals for a new tour, they say "we sound like a bad Rush cover band". It takes practice playing that way to be successful playing that way! And sometimes, it may sound like a train wreck before it sounds like music.

Of course, if you're playing Rolling Stones type stuff it's inappropriate. But some of us like playing Rush and ELP and Tull and Yes and whatnot... fortunately I've been blessed over the years to play with folks who understand how to lend a solid underpinning to musical chaos.

keep telling yourself that but the rest of us will just shake our heads walking away thinking "busy drummers suck"

...not to say that if neil was to do this it would not be cool and/or ruin the groove. problem is, most drummers just are not anywhere near his level.

like I said, love rush, can't stand drummers who think they are neil.

• Members

Tiffany wholesaler www.hw925shop.com is a professional Tiffany jewelry supplier for 3 years and won the good reputation on this line. The products of us are the best quality in china and the lowest price(not cheap bootleg), including the necklace ,cuff , ring ,earring . as 1837 style , round / heart tag style , Atlas style , Titanium style and so on . Pleasure more EBAY resellers join our company and enjoy our service. Since we are mate wholesaler and dropshipping servicer who can help you feel confidence to set up a steady business.To be exactly, you may have all kinds of questions from beginning If you're looking for a good source of wholesale Tiffany for your retail operation, online store or auction business, www.hw925shop.com is your one-stop shop for wholesale .hope you will get more surprise items on our website .

Wecome to our website: www.hw925shop.com

Email: hw925shopservice@yahoo.com.cn

MSN: hw925shopservice@hotmail.com

• Members

Intro to 'Xanadu' (no, not the ON-J version! lol) Loads of space there. Likewise the intro to Floyd's Shine On.., the midsection of Yes' CTTE, and a bunch of other prog. Then there's the Police, where Copeland was in absolute perpetual motion and constantly changing beats and putting in little fills...

Let's face it. It's nothing more than "I like this, you like that". Oh, one more thing: Dunno if this applies to you in particular, but I find it hilarious when folks who cannot read music talk about what it takes to be a good musician.

Part of being a good musician is learning when not to play, as well as what to play when....Many people model themselves off of prog rock bands, and think they HAVE to overplay to be 'good'.

• Members

It's all a matter of taste, as you say. And what's appropriate for the song. For instance, I *tend* to play very sparingly, letting notes ring out. But there's times in which I'll saturate the air with notes and feedback and whatever.

With drummers. Peart plays busy...sometimes, not all the time. But is it appropriate for their music? I think so. I also can't imagine Mitch Mitchell playing a really sparse Fleetwood Mac-like backbeat to accompany "Manic Depression" or other Hendrix stuff. Nor can I imagine The Who with Keith Moon playing really sparsely. And Copeland plays like he has ADD. :D Less is more, sure, but sometimes...just sometimes...more is more.

• Members

Hey, I'm not gonna tell ya whether I like Rush or not. But any more discussion about technique vs. soul needs to be squashed right now! If you hate Rush because they play too many notes, you are not listening. If you love Rush because they play lots of notes, you are not listening. If you think the Stones and Rush are in opposite camps, you are not listening.

People make music for a lot of reasons, and I don't think that the musicians in Rush count their notes. They simply make music that is on some level, important to them! Period.

If you don't like it, fine! But if you don't like it because it is "cerebral" or "has too many notes", than YOU ARE A MUSICAL BIGOT!

Conversely, if you like it, fine! But if you like it because the musicians are "amazing" and "have killer chops", then you are A PREJUDICED LISTENER!

• Members

Hey, I'm not gonna tell ya whether I like Rush or not. But any more discussion about technique vs. soul needs to be squashed right now! If you hate Rush because they play too many notes, you are not listening. If you love Rush because they play lots of notes, you are not listening. If you think the Stones and Rush are in opposite camps, you are not listening.

People make music for a lot of reasons, and I don't think that the musicians in Rush count their notes. They simply make music that is on some level, important to them! Period.

If you don't like it, fine! But if you don't like it because it is "cerebral" or "has too many notes", than YOU ARE A MUSICAL BIGOT!

Conversely, if you like it, fine! But if you like it because the musicians are "amazing" and "have killer chops", then you are A PREJUDICED LISTENER!

That's the most sensible Rush-related thing I've ever read! :thu::cool:

Archived