Artists who lowered the bar

Hard Truth

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe."
- Carl Sagan

I fully agree with what Ken said about approaching things from a new perspective, and saying things that have been said before, but in new ways. IMO, there's no reason why you have to create a entirely new musical genre in order to do so, or in order to connect with and move people, or in order for something to have artistic relevance and merit.

Just because others have written great sonnets doesn't mean someone else can't too.
:)

There's something to be said for working within the limits of a particular style. (Where's Stranger with his haikus right now?) :lol:

Something I sometimes do, and I'm aware of some other folks who do this, is try to write a traditional AABA-type song in Tin Pan Alley mode, but with lyrics which reflect modernity, or chords that recognize more contemporary thinking on harmonic progressions. Vintage modern.

Using the genre-specific limitations as way of offsetting, contrasting, and defining what you are adding.

• Members

I really like the Raconteurs a lot. I especially like that psychedelic pop song .

Is this greeting the type that's meant for me?

Are you part of this kakistocracy?

cool, it took me until somewhat recently [6 months ago maybe] to "discover" them, didnt know if you had heard them yet.

Archived