So what if I said that I want to sound exactly like Jerry Cantrell?

Crab_Cake

• Members

I think Jerry is a great guitar player. Don't judge his playing by his solo stuff. He seemed to play much better when he had Layne Staley to work with. They had some of the best harmonies in the biz. In my opinion they were the best group to come out of the nineties,and they have have influence a slew of bands.

Jerry surely isn't the best guitarist out there, but then there are great guitar players who couldn't write a decent song to save their lives. Jerry can write some awesome material, and to me that makes him miles above most of the great technical players. JMO so maybe it's just {censored}e!

Jerry + Layne and original bassist Mike Starr --- total win.

I was never a fan of Jerry's tone or his playing.....but...his RIFFS are the {censored}, and the vocal harmonies with Layne and the songs set them far above the rest of the seattle bands.

Having been a little TOO damn close to AIC....and seeing the demise of that band and two members....it was sad. Layne was amazing, only got to meet him once, and it wasn't a pretty story. I tried to to a band project with Mike Starr, but he had "other interests" that took precedence over playing music. I did get to meet Mike's mom, a real estate agent who rented the band their first band house back in the day. She has a basement FULL of AIC stuff, a literal shrine to the band.

My favorite story about AIC is when they took Pearl Jam with them as the opener on a tour up and down the west coast. Mike told me they all ganged up on Eddie Vedder and made him CRY in the back of the van. Or maybe the time one member nearly Od'ed and died just before the Rock in Rio show, and had to be narcan-ed back to life just before hitting the stage. I was jealous that Mike had banged MTV news host Tabitha Soren on the bus...lucky bastard....I got to hang out with her once, but didn't get THAT far :-)

What a complete waste of a band.....and I wonder who will be next to die or OD.....

• Members

Jerry + Layne and original bassist Mike Starr --- total win.

Absolutely!

Layne was one of the best singers in the business - and Jerry's playing and backup vox just iced the cake.

The band had some terrific riffs and atmosphere. I got into them late in the game and never saw them live.................................

• Members

Absolutely!

Layne was one of the best singers in the business - and Jerry's playing and backup vox just iced the cake.

The band had some terrific riffs and atmosphere. I got into them late in the game and never saw them live.................................

and honestly -- Mike Starr was an AMAZING bassist. One of the best I have ever played with. You should have heard some of the stuff we were working on. He had some GREAT riffs that he wrote on bass. I hope he gets his shit together and gets back in the game. That white Spector of his through an SVT...total WIN for bass tone. Eddie Van Halen gave him a few spector basses, and a guitar that was CRAZY cool....Mike gave it to me, but I gave it back to him when we parted ways....

Layne was THE SHIT. Last time I saw him he was basically a recluse, and didn't leave his home. he had everything DELIVERED to him...and I mean everything.

It's hard to get off drugs when you got guys who deliver daily anything you want right to your condo :eek:

Archived