EQ pedal question

tp4mybunghol

• Members

Depends on what you are doing with it.

If you are playing clean, then in front is fine.

If you have a dirt pedal up front and want a boost on top of that, putting the EQ in the effects loop is a great way to get that extra boost and maybe some extra treble for a solo. If you want to just tone shape the dirt without any additional boost, then up front works good.

• Members

assuming you're talking about a graphic eq pedal:

front: lets you drive the preamp stage of the amp harder. If set flat with a volume boost only the amp will show its character and teeth this way. The result can than be fine-tuned by adjusting the individual frequency-bands.

(Hint: sometimes cutting can be as effective as boosting)

Make sure to try the -15dB (or so) settings, also. noobs boost - pros cut! (hehe not really, but try it!)

loop: this will give you a very effectivly working eq behind the preamp stage. If you're looking for modern or extreme sounds, put it here.

• Members

I keep mine in the loop. I haven't tried it out front yet, but it works just great in the loop. Besides, mine's not true bypass, so I'd really like to keep it out of the preamp chain.. it's a DOD FX40B which is pretty nice with 7 bands, but I'm thinking of upgrading to the DOD 10 band one, in this case, more is always better. I don't even know if there are any true bypass graphic EQs come to think of it.

• Members

Hi,

I just picked up a Moen Buffalo Para EQ Pedal this week and last night was experimenting with it into the front end of a tube amp and then through the loop. I ended up liking it WAY MORE in the loop. It was very cold and sterile sounding out front, and equally warm and much fatter sounding in the loop. In the loop both the clean channel and the overdrive channel were much better sounding to my ears. So, in the loop it stays!! ; o )

Cheers,

BP

Archived