What instrument did/do you play in school?

benzem

• Members

BTW, how many of you had to learn sight reading? Some of those pieces I had to sight read were pretty nasty!

Had to do the sight reading thing. :lol:

Yes, some of those were pretty wicked. :lol: And some were really a piece of cake. I was required to do it many times under different circumstances every year.

It's one thing to be able to learn something, and with practice get all the dynamics and what not down to near perfection...but to TRY to do it never seeing or hearing a piece of music before...:facepalm:

• Members

From one baritone/euphonium player to another--there is no baritone euphonium, just one or the other.

Wellll, actually they are sort of one and the same. The Baritone has 3 valves, the Euphonium had 4 valves (and I was told one time that you can even get a 5 valve version). Thanks for the correction. Actually in retrospect, I played Baritone in 6th and 7th grade, and Euphonium from 8th grade through my sophomore year of college. You know what they look like - sort of a mini tuba. My parents had a cow when I brought a Baritone home from school in 6th grade! They thought I'd be playing oompah stuff!!

Actually the Baritone and Euphonium are nice sounding instruments. Soundwise, they're sort of a cross between the trombone, and the french horn. It's too bad that neither is considered a "proper" symphony instrument, unlike trombone. Of the two (Baritone or Euphonium), I prefer the Euphonium. Once I went to 4 valves, 3 valves seemed so lame by comparison. I haven't played a Baritone in 30 years, and a Euphonium since 1984. Sometimes, I get a yearning to play one, but I'd only consider doing it in a symphony setting (fat chance!). Good symphonic music is fun to play.

• Members

Beat cookie tins for a while and then plinked on a cheap Zen-on guitar until I moved to Fla where I got into a band after dropping out of HS in 9th.

Hated Plantation HS with a passion.

Wasn't until I moved to Cali that I got into HS marching band in 11th grade playing tenor drum. Yep, skipped 10th.

Then joined Jazzband as guitarist and played percussion in the orchestra bc I was too lightweight to make the Varsity FB team.

Same time was in the City Youth band marching and orchestra ensemble playing percussion and guitar and generally making a nuisance of myself by cranking the amp before practice began and playing out of tune during some pieces I hated.

• Members

Played baritone in 5th/6th grade, quit because I didn't care for music at the time. Also took piano lessons as a kid and didn't like it. Whatever ability to read music I gained from those was completely lost by the time I got to guitar. Started playing guitar at 17 and play around on piano for fun.

Archived