Is this a major breech of etiqut or what?

ebidis

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
eh it was onstage at a church. fair game i say. Id pack it up next time to avoid the problem
;)

So just because you play at church and your stuff is in a church, this means it's fair game and nobody should respect your property? This attitude is exactly what I'm talking about.

In the past we have had equipment stolen from our church.

I play 2 services a week, and after the worship band is finished, the pastor comes out, and we cannot just hang around on stage packing up equipment.

Church or not, it is a matter of respect. Just because my car is in the church parking lot, does that mean anyone can take it for a drive without asking?

• Members
So just because you play at church and your stuff is in a church, this means it's fair game and nobody should respect your property? This attitude is exactly what I'm talking about.

I play 2 services a week, and after the worship band is finished, the pastor comes out, and we cannot just hang around on stage packing up equipment.

Church or not, it is a matter of respect. Just because my car is in the church parking lot, does that mean anyone can take it for a drive without asking?

as previously mentioned. I meant he probably thought it was the property of the establishment...

you lock your car doors dont you? your front door to your home? lock your guitar up. simple. Dont expect everyone to be as thoughtful as yourself ;)

• Members

I agree that it was a breach of etiquitte, but the kid obviously didn't realize it at the time. Considering his multiple apologies, he seems's to have figured it out. No worries, IMO. It's not like he screwed it up, so no reason to get all bent about it. Sounds like he's probably a good kid who could use a little guidance.

I agree with the other comments above to the effect of engaging the kid, and helping him get into music if he's that interested.

• Members

I have no problem at all with the kids playing my guitar if they ask me first, I just think it is common curteousy. and by the way I did take the opportunity to talk to him and let him know he could come back any time and play if he asks first.

Yeah, it is common courtesy, but I think it's kind of an unwritten rule among musicians. I've had to make rule about no one except the band on stage, period. Otherwise, guitars get knocked over, drumheads ruined, etc.

• Members

I understand how you felt. One time when we were playing and left the stage, another church that came over jumped up on stage and started playing our instruments without saying a thing to us. It's one of those times when you hope they're not wearing a zippered jacket that will scratch your finish or not holding your neck just in case the strap slips which has happened a few times in my time. I've seen guitars hit the floor, dent the finish and knock the neck out of whack and all the kids say is I'm sorry and walk off. What can you do except keep them off your instruments so this doesn't happen.

When you pay that much for your instruments, mod them, and have taken care of them for a long time, and they're in excellent condition (finish and otherwise) you don't want just anybody grabbing ahold of your instrument because you don't know how they're going to handle it. I've seen kids take their guitars and lay them on the pavement outside when playing in garage bands. They just don't know how to take care of them yet and dont' respect others possessions yet when they're in their teens. I don't care if they play my instrument if I'm there and can watch how they handle the instrument.

• Members

Its good that he said he was sorry ,, ,but you should have clued him in on the fact that you dont just pick up someones guitar and start playing it. It all worked out for him this time since it was in church. There are guys that would have really blown their stack and rightfully so.

• Members

Meh maybe give him a lesson, clearly the kid is interested in guitar. Why not encourage him?

Id be more upset with people who where standing around and didn't mention that it was your guitar.

I mean its at church isn't it?

Where where his parents, maybe talk to them, that is if your still miffed.

• Members
Nah, I don't think it was. In all honesty, what do you think Jesus would have done had the guitar been his?

well Jesus can have any guitar in the world that he wants so of course it would have been no problem for him...They're really all his anyway...;)

• Members

You cant take this stuff lightly man.Take if from my bro Rip Glitter "Once, when I caught my little brother looking at my Signature Randy Rhoads Jackson V, I strapped his head to the 5150 and hung him out the window by his ankles. He kept squirmin' and hollerin' until finally I dropped him, but it was okay, because the 5150 was hooked back up in minutes, and none of the blood or snot stopped it from giving me the hot metal injection I demand"

"Like when I came home one day from Dino's, and I heard some totally un-metal, {censored}-ass, limp-wristed NON-POWER-CHORDS coming from my basement. I kicked open the door with my boot and found my {censored}ing little brother Randy actually trying to PLAY MY {censored}ING GUITAR. Now as you know, this was just one of the many occasions that I found Randy {censored}ing with my {censored}. Mom says that I should be nicer to him because he looks up to me. {censored} that! I was the one who named him Randy (after you-know-who), in the hopes that he might end up being a brutal demon of speed metal and we could rock out like true brothers of doom, but instead he's just a snotty little punk who likes to get his grubby little hands on my {censored}. So I had to teach him a lesson.I grabbed that Jackson V out of his hands and twisted the guitar strap around his neck while it was still on the guitar, and then I put the guitar on his shoulders, strapped his hands to either end with a couple spare cables I had lying around, and I pulled off my belt. Man, could he scream! After five or six whips across the back with my studded Motorhead belt buckle, Mom came down and started yelling at me. She started unstrapping him from the guitar, and I only got a couple more licks in across his shoulders before I had to stop my axe from hitting the ground. That paint job was {censored}ing expensive, you know? Mom kept screaming and Randy's blowing snot everywhere because he was crying like a {censored}ing little mama's boy. I mean, if he's not ready to face the lion, then why'd he walk in the cage? That's what I say. I tried to explain to my mom that, quite obviously, Randy had not grown up to be as metal as we both had hoped, but she totally didn't understand. But I'll tell you one thing - it was a lon time before Randy {censored}ed with any of my {censored} anymore."
'

• Members
You cant take this stuff lightly man.Take if from my bro Rip Glitter "Once, when I caught my little brother looking at my Signature Randy Rhoads Jackson V, I strapped his head to the 5150 and hung him out the window by his ankles. He kept squirmin' and hollerin' until finally I dropped him, but it was okay, because the 5150 was hooked back up in minutes, and none of the blood or snot stopped it from giving me the hot metal injection I demand"

"Like when I came home one day from Dino's, and I heard some totally un-metal, {censored}-ass, limp-wristed NON-POWER-CHORDS coming from my basement. I kicked open the door with my boot and found my {censored}ing little brother Randy actually trying to PLAY MY {censored}ING GUITAR. Now as you know, this was just one of the many occasions that I found Randy {censored}ing with my {censored}. Mom says that I should be nicer to him because he looks up to me. {censored} that! I was the one who named him Randy (after you-know-who), in the hopes that he might end up being a brutal demon of speed metal and we could rock out like true brothers of doom, but instead he's just a snotty little punk who likes to get his grubby little hands on my {censored}. So I had to teach him a lesson.I grabbed that Jackson V out of his hands and twisted the guitar strap around his neck while it was still on the guitar, and then I put the guitar on his shoulders, strapped his hands to either end with a couple spare cables I had lying around, and I pulled off my belt. Man, could he scream! After five or six whips across the back with my studded Motorhead belt buckle, Mom came down and started yelling at me. She started unstrapping him from the guitar, and I only got a couple more licks in across his shoulders before I had to stop my axe from hitting the ground. That paint job was {censored}ing expensive, you know? Mom kept screaming and Randy's blowing snot everywhere because he was crying like a {censored}ing little mama's boy. I mean, if he's not ready to face the lion, then why'd he walk in the cage? That's what I say. I tried to explain to my mom that, quite obviously, Randy had not grown up to be as metal as we both had hoped, but she totally didn't understand. But I'll tell you one thing - it was a lon time before Randy {censored}ed with any of my {censored} anymore."

'

15d73f370fec7578cd23cf2fad694131.gif

• Members

When I was 14 i crashed a Backhoe into the side of a house by accident trying to start a Heavy Equiptment operator career [those hydraulics are touchy!] the old man had a cow on that one, even though the kid "violated" your protocol don't sweat the small stuff, there's probably "oportunities for growth" from the whole event.:cop:

• Members

the old man had a cow on that one, even though the kid "violated" your protocol don't sweat the small stuff, there's probably "oportunities for growth" from the whole event.
:cop:

Ah, that's nothin. Once when I was 14, my face caught on fire, so my daddy put it out with a backhoe.

• Members

I always overreact, but I think that this was no breach of etiquette. First, it is possible he thought it was church gear (even if he saw you play it earlier). Even so, if you leave it open to the church community, it effectively becomes the community's. If it were your private home, that would be a different situation entirely, even if the gear were on a stand in your living room. I have to say, though, that if I caught somebody playing my Custom Strat without permission, they might not make it out the door. :D

• Members

Forgive the kid, he probably thought it belongs to the church.

This happened just days ago:

Our band went to a rehearsal studio with a new bassist. As we arrive, I went to take a bathroom break.

When I head back to the room, my guitar was taken out from its gigbag.
The new kid was facing it in front of a Mesa cab with the head turned to 11.

I should have took it with me. :facepalm:

Never leave your guitar open to strangers.

• Members

I have no problem at all with the kids playing my guitar if they ask me first, I just think it is common curteousy. and by the way I did take the opportunity to talk to him and let him know he could come back any time and play if he asks first.

with this statement imo you did the right thing. when i was about 6 this guy at my church put his guitar down and this kid went up and started playing. the guy complained so much that the poor kid ended getting his butt whipped from his dad. i felt sorry for the kid.

• Members

I'd let it go since it was out there and he seems to be sorry about it. It would be different if he opened up your case and took your guitar out

However, in general I don't buy the "Hes just a kid thing". If I find a 14 year old playing my guitar, and I have, I tell them to {censored} off and stop touching my {censored}. I guess its because there's a smaller age gap

Archived