TV Jones Classics or Powertrons? Help me decide.

docjeffrey

• Members

My wife asked me what I want for my birthday, and I said, "Some TV Jones pickups for my Gretsch 6120."

So here's the question. I have a set of Classics on my Elliot Easton Duo Jet, but I am thinking about switching them to Powertrons and putting the Classics on my 6120.

Does anyone here play TV Powertrons? Are they going to destroy the top end on my Duo Jet?

Another option is to order a Classic Plus for the bridge of my Duo Jet and put a pair of Classics on my 6120.

I'm so confused, but one thing I know for sure after listening to Brian Setzer's Red Hot and Live! I'm putting Classics in my 6120.

• Members

OK. Since nobody who plays TV Jones pickups is up this late, I made an executive decision to order a TV Jones Classic Plus which will go in the bridge position of my Duo Jet and a Classic for the neck position of my 6120. The Classic that is currently in the bridge of my Duo Jet will be moved to the bridge of my 6120.

g6120.jpg

• Members

I have a power jet with the powertrons and I really like them. I think the classics have more of that gretsch twang and possibly a nicer midrange bite. I'm actually contemplating switching from powertrons to classics. The guitar, while it sounds really good, just can't compete with a couple of my other guitars. I feel like the classics will give it more of it's own sort of sound. I dunno man I mean what kind of stuff are you going to be playing?

whoops, just saw your second post

• Members

I haven't tried the PowerTrons so I can't really comment on those. I have tried the Classics and I am definately going to be putting some TV Jones Classics in my Falcon at some point.

The PowerTrons are supposed to be closer to regular PAF pickups so my vote would go for the Classics. On the other hand, having the different varieties would also be nice... Guess I'm not helping much.

There are some knowing guys on The Gretsch Pages forum that would probably be able to give you some very good advice on this subject though. I found a thread with clips comparing several different pickup types over there - unfortunately there were no Powertrons in there :(

If you want to vist the thread anyway take a look here:

http://gretschpages.com/forum/faq/gretsch-voices-6-current-models-tone-tested/34/page1/

• Members

I think you made the right choice.

I have Powertrons, Powertron Pluses, Classic PLus and Classics in various guitars.

Basically this is the way to look at it:

Powertron Plus...>>>>.......Classics

modern...........................vintage

Highest power to lowest.....the higher power the more they start to sound like humbuckers. Vintagey underwound chimey humbuckers, but still. Classics and classic pluses still have that great Gretsch upper mids thing going on in spades....

• Members

I am glad I stumbled on this post- A few months ago I purchased a Gretsch 5120 and really love the guitar, but never realized how weak the stock pickups are, until I plugged my Les Paul into my rig after a string broke during a gig- I want to put in higher output pickups, but keep the same style of the stock pickups. TV Jones were my first choice, but I am always open-

• Members

I bought a Powerjet, thought it'd be the guitar of my dreams, it was until I plugged it in:cry: Then it was like the Mississippi delta.....all mud:cry:

I have a Powertron Plus in the bridge of this and it's not muddy in the least, but then I play rock & roll with a good amount of gain dialed in my Marshall:

1507150683_b33b2eeec0_o.jpg

Archived