Learning Songs In Alternate Tunings

Rich4Once

• Members

What do you guys do, when you're learning a song that's Dropped D, but from 2 steps down? My band is attempting to learn (individually) a song that is in this tuning. In effect the lowest note sounds a C#.

What I do is up the pitch 2 steps on my Tascam GT-2, and play in regular dropped D. The other guys in my band don't have one of these things, and although they've been emailed software to do it to MP3s on their computer, it doesn't seem to have sunk in. I told them they either need to tune up the recording, or tune down their guitar/bass to get the song right.

I'm getting emails from the guys that they've learned it without re-tuning, either their instrument or the recording. It's just not going to work like that!

How do you guys deal with this stuff?

• Members

Playing it live isn't the problem...we'll do it standard dropped D, provided I can convince the guys to *learn* it properly. As it is, I'm the only one playing it in standard dropped D, with the recording pushed up 1 step for learning purposes.

The bass player has a 5 string, so he thought he could just learn it without re-tuning, but then *he's* playing in C.

I mistakenly said C# before, but that's only 1/2 step down. Still, I need everyone to *learn* it as if it's dropped D, and I'm not getting my point across.

• Members

Still, I need everyone to *learn* it as if it's dropped D, and
I'm not getting my point across.

Not surprising; I'm having a hard time understanding what you mean too.

What does "dropped D, but from 2 steps down" mean? CGCFAD? CADGBE? Or something else?

And what exactly are your bandmates doing wrong? Do you mean they're playing the song in the same key it was recorded in, but without downtuning their instruments? Or are they keeping their instruments in normal tuning and playing the song in a higher key to match?

• Members

YES! They're playing along with the song, but without re-tuning. For the bass, he's got a 5 string, so he can hit that low C note. We guitarists do not. If he does that, nobody's playing in the same key...it's a riff-oriented song, the part's gotta be right.

Generally, the idea is to play it as the band that recorded it played it, position-wise...i.e. you don't play Voodoo Chile at 6th fret on the A string so you're in Eb "like Jimi was", you tune down 1/2 step to learn it, that way you've got that low "open E" to hit. Then onstage, you just play it in E. Nobody cares that it "sounds" 1/2 step higher...most (if not all) won't even notice.

It's the same idea here...in order for the song to fall on the neck where it belongs, the instruments need to tune down one full step, which would be DGCFAD...then go "dropped D" so it's CGCFAD. Obviously, we're not going to bother with this crap when *we* play it...we'll play it in standard tuning, with the dropped D. It still needs to be learned properly, though.

• Members

YES! They're playing along with the song, but without re-tuning.

Generally, the idea is to play it as the band that recorded it played it, position-wise...i.e. you don't play Voodoo Chile at 6th fret on the A string so you're in Eb "like Jimi was", you tune down 1/2 step to learn it, that way you've got that low "open E" to hit. Then onstage, you just play it in E. Nobody cares that it "sounds" 1/2 step higher...most (if not all) won't even notice.

It's the same idea here...in order for the song to fall on the neck where it belongs, the instruments need to tune down one full step, which would be DGCFAD...then go "dropped D" so it's CGCFAD. Obviously, we're not going to bother with this crap when *we* play it...we'll play it in standard tuning, with the dropped D. It still needs to be learned properly, though.

I think I get it. I think the way to get the point across is to explain to them that it's played in a certain position, in a certain tuning, so you can take advantage of certain open strings. If the song is all barre chords, then that doesn't really matter, but if you're playing, say, a Jimi tune, or an Aerosmith song off Rocks, playing it in the same key it was recorded in requires that tuning to use those open strings. Someone could conceivably play all the same notes (except the very lowest ones) without downtuning but he'd be making it a hell of a lot harder on himself that way.

That said, if you're going to play it in regular drop-D live, presuming your singer can hit all the high notes (s)he needs to hit in the higher key, why not learn it in that key & tuning in the first place? It shouldn't be that difficult to mentally transpose up a bit from the recording, should it? Yeah, I know, man/boy/donkey, but still.

• Members

The song is Animal I have become, from 3 Days Grace. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRLAyG3gKYg

That riff needs to be where it is, there's no transposing it.
All they need to do is make the low note a D, and the rest tuned standard. If they do it by re-tuning the entire guitar, or by moving the pitch of the recording up to play along, I don't care. Vocals are not a problem.

• Members

while i'm not familiar with that song I do know its possible to play in standard what is written in lower tunings. you use whats known as inverted 5th power chords (like playing an E5 at the 7th fret but adding the low B note on the e string 7th fret). You can move this shape around and get most of the same effect as detuning, but its harder and takes more movement. however this doesnt work on songs that has lots of open pedal chords like my own summer by the deftones. Either learn the song in its original tuning but play live in your normal tuning or get a 2nd guitar for that song

• Members

Why do they have to play alongside the original recording? Can't they listen first and then play it by themselves in original drop-D?

If they're that thick-headed, just take the original mp3, retune it with some appropriate software and then send it to them, sayin "play along this one instead or leave the band".

• Members

yoru talking about playing in drop C yes? Just get a tuner and retune it for that song. Go buy an inline chromatic liek a Boss Tu2 or a behringer whatsherface

We're going to play it in Dropped D, but *learning* it is the problem. I think they've finally gotten it...we're going to try it at soundcheck tomorrow, and if it bites, it's gone. Some of you are not understanding my point, so I guess I'm getting how the band was missing it, too.

• Members

I'm seriously tired of the stupid responses people get on this forum.

If someone asked you how to fix the transmission on his Honda, would "I drive a Mercedes, you should too" be a good answer?

This is really clever. STFU.

I wasnt making a suggestion or telling anyone how they should play or what gear they should use. I was just saying what I do.

No need to be an ass for no reason.

The guy asked what do we do when we are learning a song in a different tuning, I gave my honest answer

Archived