Sustainer w/ EMGs and D-Tuna on Floyd for Hot Rod

J.Paul

• Members

I play mostly meat and potatoes stuff but want a firebreathing, modded out, hot rod for the occasional hair metal application.

I'm using an old strat type-body and ordering a Warmoth neck for it. The guitar has an EMG 81 (the 89s are too "gainey"). My question is regarding Sustainer Pickups and a D-Tuna.

1) Is it possible to use my EMG along with the Sustainer?How?

2) The D-Tuna only works with actual Floyd Rose tremolos, mine is a "licensed by". Is there something else on the marketplace that I can use for Drop-D (other than the D-Tuna) so that I can continue to use my "licensed by Floyd Rose" tremolo or do I have to bite the bullet and get the real Floyd Rose??

thanks for any input ya'll might have

• Members

The sustainer doesn't actually need to go to an output. You'll basically only have bridge pickup sound, but you'll have the endless sustain on tap. The sustainer uses passive spec pots and an on switch or push pull as opposed to a stereo jack to tell it when to suck battery. It would sound like total mud if you used the active spec pots. So, no output, no problems. Just a sustainer for sustain.

D tunas work for floyds and all other locking fulcrum tremolos.

There you are.

• Members

Where can you buy a sustainer? I really want to mod my Charvel Model 4 with one but cant find one.

Google "fernandes sustainer' They're $200 new with all the fixin's, but sometimes on ebay you can get 'em as low as $80(for the sustainer alone) if you're ace like that.

• Members

Where can you buy a sustainer? I really want to mod my Charvel Model 4 with one but cant find one.

I got mines here:

http://www.sustainiac.com/

Alan Hoover and all the guys there are nothing but top notch. All the parts you need are included except the batteries. They will get my business next time I get a sustainer. Hope it helps, good luck.

• Members

I've owned a Fernandes Revolver Pro w/ sustainer and currently own a PRS Santana SE w/ Sustainac. The Fernandes sustainer is fine, but the Sustainiac is definitely superior in every way including customer service, as sixtydriver mentioned above. Sustainers are awesome and I'm glad to have one, but I wanted to mention to anyone considering it that it is a huge job to install. It doesn't just drop in like a pickup. Your guitar's control cavity has to have room for a circuit board and 9V battery, or you will have to route the body to fit it. The board on the Sustainiac is a bit smaller and easier to fit than the Fernandes. It took my friend who is an electronics engineer over eight hours of work to install mine. Most techs charge at least $100 for the installation. I'm not trying to disuade anyone from getting one, but you should be aware of what's involved before you drop a few hundred bucks on one.

Archived