GFS vintage 59 pickups...opinions

blingdogg

• Members

I had these in my Ibanez guitar and it sounded really good. But I'm seeing a lot of hate on these pickups, people saying they're dull, not better than stock pups.

I took these out of my Ibanez because I'm curious to try out the GFS retrotron liverpool pups. Now I got an Epi LP standard, and I'm thinking of putting the Vintage 59's in it. Has anyone put vintage 59's in an Epi LP? Or are the Fat Pats a better pickup? I haven't tried the fat pats.

p.s (yeah I know these GFS threads have been done before, some of you are tired of them, but it's time for some new answers!!!!)

• Members

Can't comment on bridge pup or sound in solidbodies.

Have one in the neck of my dot. VERY defined, warm, full, round tone. Roll off and it gets jazzy. I also have it on a split, which is good, little more shrill, but defined. And reversed phase, it mixes GREAT with a mean 90, really neat sound.

• Members

I bought a GFS Vintage 59 to replace the SD JB in my Hamer Archtop (it had a 59/JB combo); the GFS sounded a lot like the SD 59 in the neck. I didn't use it long, as I replaced them with a pair of quality handwounds, but it was still very good and I would think they would be outstanding in an Epi LP, especially if you want more or less classic PAF tones.

• Members

Jay recommended either the '59 or a Dream 180 to bring a dull-sounding basswood guitar to life. Even though there was a '59 on clearance last week I went with the Dream because the positive reviews are overwhelmingly in its favor. It's out for delivery today, so we'll see how it does.

• Members

Jay recommended either the '59 or a Dream 180 to bring a dull-sounding basswood guitar to life. Even though there was a '59 on clearance last week I went with the Dream because the positive reviews are overwhelmingly in its favor. It's out for delivery today, so we'll see how it does.

I don't think you will be dissapointed in those 180's. They make this guitar my fave.

IMG_2356.jpg

• Members

I have a couple of sets: the nickel versions were in a Heritage Les Paul for a year or so (replaced duncan '59s, big improvement) and the naked verions in a switch 'plastic' guitar.

Their biggest failing is that they're a little bland. Tonally they are extremely balanced, warm, smooth and reasonably well defined. Split or parallel they sound acceptable, though a little sharp-edged. Under fairly high gain they seem to retain clarity better than burstbuckers (direct comparison, Heritage side by side with a Les Paul Standard).

What's not to like? Well, they don't have a lot of character or bite and they don't really crunch, so if you want to do the guitar, cable and amp only thing then they're a bit lacking. However if you use effects a lot for your basic tone or you play through a modeller then they are pretty good. I replaced the GFS with some old Gibson pickups (a 'patent number' and a T top) and they DO crunch, while doing everything the duncans tried to do but failed at so badly.

• Members

I don't think you will be dissapointed in those 180's. They make this guitar my fave.

Nice! I went with the Dreamtron style hoping that it will look good next to a big old Fender dynamic vibrato bridge, but still kinda match the black neck pup. Overthinking things? Probably. :cool:

• Members

I have a couple of sets: the nickel versions were in a Heritage Les Paul for a year or so (replaced duncan '59s, big improvement) and the naked verions in a switch 'plastic' guitar.

Their biggest failing is that they're a little bland. Tonally they are extremely balanced, warm, smooth and reasonably well defined. Split or parallel they sound acceptable, though a little sharp-edged. Under fairly high gain they seem to retain clarity better than burstbuckers (direct comparison, Heritage side by side with a Les Paul Standard).

What's not to like? Well, they don't have a lot of character or bite and they don't really crunch, so if you want to do the guitar, cable and amp only thing then they're a bit lacking. However if you use effects a lot for your basic tone or you play through a modeller then they are pretty good. I replaced the GFS with some old Gibson pickups (a 'patent number' and a T top) and they DO crunch, while doing everything the duncans tried to do but failed at so badly.

Thanks for the great review! I found that the pups sounded pretty good too, in my cheap Ibanez SG copy. I agree they were a little bland, but not too much. I play through a modeller 99% of the time (Amplitube 2 or Guitar Rig 3) so I probably will find them okay for my needs. I'm on a really tight budget right now (after buying 4 guitars this year...) but find that I really hate the Epi stock pickups and need a quick switch. Since I got the Vintage 59s lying around, may as well put them to good use at least for the time being.

• Members

I've been curious about those dreams myself. Let us know how you like it.

Just tried to install the 180...but neither the the body nor the pickguard are routed for a covered humbucker. :facepalm:

Don't want to do any cutting into the guitar because it's gone up in value since I bought it, so it looks like I may be ordering the '59 after all unless anyone has any suggestions.

• Members

neither the the body nor the pickguard are routed for a covered humbucker.... so it looks like I may be ordering the '59 after all unless anyone has any suggestions.

I wouldn't suggest the '59 either. If it won't fit a humbucker, why would a '59 fit? :confused:

• Members

I wouldn't suggest the '59 either. If it won't fit a humbucker, why would a '59 fit?
:confused:

It's the chrome case around the humbucker that won't fit. An uncovered HB is nice and snug in the route. Unfortunately I don't know of any uncovered Dream 180s. I don't see why an uncovered Vintage '59 won't fit.

• Members

I have dream180'a in my SG and it's stellar sounding:thu:

Yeah! I had a Dream 180 in the neck of my SG copy and it sounded pretty cool. I still got the pup, and may try it in another guitar. I'm getting a Squier Tele Custom soon, may put it in there.

• Members

I can't comment on the '59s, but I have a set of Dream 180s in my Artcore AS73 and really like them. Very balanced... to me they sound the way a PAF style pup should. I had a set of Fat PAFs in a hollow jazz box I had, and didn't like them. They were dull and muddy, not a noticable improvement over the stock pups.

• Members

are you allowing internet buzz to trump your ears?

if you like em, that's all that counts.

LOL, yeah I feel that I am. I can't help it sometimes :facepalm:

I think the pups are good, so that's all that should matter. I keep telling myself that, but then I keep looking up the reviews and see that some love'em, some don't. I know they made a huge difference over my Ibanez GAX75 pickups though.

I'll just try it out for myself. Once they're in, I'll share my results.

Archived