Who likes to get really drunk before a gig?

Boumtje-Boumtje

• Members

I suppose it helps one loosen up. I certainly had too much to drink on several occasions while at a gig. As a rule I played like {censored} when I drank too much. I personally don't recommend it but some things you've just got to learn for yourself.

• Members

I've never gotten drunk, lit, blazed, blotto, {censored}-faced, whatever you want to call it before a gig... NEVER!

However, I HAVE gotten drunk, lit, blazed, blotto, {censored}-faced, whatever you want to call it DURING a gig.

My other four bandmates were doing it and hell, I was "only" playing bass so "why not?" was my argument.

But, that was over 20 years ago. These days, I like to remember if my playing the night before sucked or not. Even if it is just at a neighborhood bar Thursday night open jam.

• Members

Nope. Never gigged drunk. I attended one rehearsal years ago, lit up. I played like crap. The drummer (whose band it was) got so mad at me, he almost fired me. Never again! Besides I played in a band (it wasn't my band - I was just a hired hand) with a bass player who was a drunk (he drank Kingsbury beer like it was Kool Aid!). It sucked to say the least.

I would never pay money to see somebody who was loaded to the gills try to hack their way through a performance (and I've left shows I've went to see, when I noticed the musicians on stage were drunk), so why would I want to perform drunk myself? It would be kind of hypocritical wouldn't it? Nah, maybe a beer or mix drink or two. That's it. Besides, considering the nasty reaction the alcohol had with my atshma and cluster headache meds, the last time I tried to tie one on, I'm not taking a trip to drunksville anytime soon.

• Members

I wouldn't play in a band with someone who gets DRUNK or high at a gig. Someone who drinks a few beers, sure, but not someone who's drunk.

Being in a band is work. It's fun work, but it's work. Drunks aren't fun to live with and they aren't fun to work with.

• Members

One beer before the gig, one for each set, and one between each set, maybe.

A couple of beers might give me confidence to explore more during the improv sections, but any more than that, and I lose dynamic control.

As does just about everybody else. Don't fool yourself that you're the exception.

• Members

I hate it when I stumble all over my pedals, knock over the mics and fumble all over the monitors. the croud just loves it when you can't stand, sound like crap and throw up on stage...and of course pass out.

No - a few drinks to knock the edge off and that's enough.

Archived