Has anyone tried the new ASUS laptop?

philbo

• Members

I was thinking of buying one of the $400 versions of these new Linux Laptops & would like to see if any forumites have used them.

I plan to use it 3 ways:

1) Use the built-in wireless to glom onto free connections while traveling for portable computing.

2) Use it for general purpose Email & Browsing

3) Get a linux program that groks the Windows Remote-Login-Desktop protocol so I can remote login into my DAW and use the laptop as a remote control for the DAW.

http://www.hothardware.com/Articles/Hands_on_with_the_ASUS_Eee/

• Members

I suspect it was the exchange rate that drove the price of these things up from the $200 (currency unknown) to US$400. At $200, it would be really tempting. At $400, I'd just wait until the right time of the quarter and pick up a Dell Windows laptop for the same price, I think.

• Members

I was thinking of buying one of the $400 versions of these new Linux Laptops & would like to see if any forumites have used them.

I plan to use it 3 ways:

1) Use the built-in wireless to glom onto free connections while traveling for portable computing.

2) Use it for general purpose Email & Browsing

3) Get a linux program that groks the Windows Remote-Login-Desktop protocol so I can remote login into my DAW and use the laptop as a remote control for the DAW.

They're sweet. For your numbers 1 and 2, it's a great little cheapo computer for knocking around and glomming onto the net. I got one for someone else to do just that and they love it.

It's no replacement for a "serious laptop," and you can really appreciate the build quality of, say, a macbook by comparison, but it's definately a nice little internetty appliance on the cheap if that's what you're looking for. If your expectations are low, it delivers big.

I'm not sure how well it'd work for your last application, because I've never done that. However, if you ran ino problems, there's an active Asus EEE forum (not sponsored by the company) that has a lot of wonks on it figuring out all kinds of stuff.

• Members

I'm skipping the $200 model because improvements to it are impossible (i.e., the flash drive is soldered in). The $400 model is somewhat upgradable... I've heard you can put in a good sized SD card (20GB) for reasonable $ and have a lot better performance.

• Members

I've got one and am very happy with it ... although it came with Vista, but I'll get rid of that piece of crap software and I'll be just fine, well that and a cool buzz and some tasty waves.
:cool:

Russ

Nashville

Are you planning to put XP on it? Or stick with the Linux?

Let me know how you like it.

I've got one and am very happy with it ... although it came with Vista, but I'll get rid of that piece of crap software and I'll be just fine, well that and a cool buzz and some tasty waves.

Russ

Nashville

[YOUTUBE]TwUegUaePy8&NR=1[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]uf5rIuJPTt0&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

Russ

Nashville

You're running Vista on an Eee PC :eek:? That's amazing if you are considering that most Vista take about 8GB + of disk space and the biggest SS HD you can find on the Eee PC's is 4GB if I'm not mistaken.

• Members

You're running Vista on an Eee PC
:eek:
? That's amazing if you are considering that most Vista take about 8GB + of disk space and the biggest SS HD you can find on the Eee PC's is 4GB if I'm not mistaken.

You can expand the working size of the on-board flash drive by putting in a SD memory.

• Members

You're running Vista on an Eee PC ? That's amazing if you are considering that most Vista take about 8GB + of disk space

Yea Vista takes up 8-10GB just for a stinkin' operating system !!!

I think this computer has an 80 GIG drive.

Russ

Nashville

Archived