Im Sick of the "Tone is in Your Fingers" replies

goldenhose

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

i don't know if it's necessarily any more or less annoying than the microscopically examined silly little details that, by and large, have neither negative nor positive nor ANY truly noticeable effect on "tone."

i do know it's a hell of a lot easier to go out and buy some {censored} as opposed to sitting down and just learning. it's easy to get so wrapped up in gear that playing almost becomes secondary. which kinda sucks.

and yeah, frets with his arsenal of budget priced gear is a perfect example of not needing the top-o-the-line best ever {censored} to sound totally awesome.

No disagreement there either.

PaulS

• Members

Obviously, giving someone a les paul with a marshall amp isnt gonna automatically make them the next jimmy page. If jpage had a crappy guitar with a harsh ss amp he might not be the guitar hero today.

there is of course one way to test this easily and somewhat safely... not entirely safely, but whatever. Stick your fingers down your throat and see what kind of tone you get!!! It always worked for my ex-girlfriend. She had tone and sustain for days!!

This thread sucks. Old and boring.

• Members

there is of course one way to test this easily and somewhat safely... not entirely safely, but whatever. Stick your fingers down your throat and see what kind of tone you get!!! It always worked for my ex-girlfriend. She had tone and sustain for days!!

This thread sucks. Old and boring.

Ever tried shagging a girl from behind when she's having a hurl? :o

• Members

Don't be a hater. Too many people spend so much time talking about gear around here. It's always good to be reminded that the common denominator everyone should never forget is technique. One guy might rip off a fury of notes over four bars, while another can strike a note just so, hold it, bend it, and milk it for four bars. Either could be masterful or horrible in their execution. And both guys are gonna sound like themselves whether they are holding a DiPinto or a Jackson V... whether plugged into a Pignose or a 5150.

On the other hand, I guess it could be annoying if one is inquiring about pickups or speakers, etc. and some tool drops the tone is in the fingers line. Assuming they aren't implying that the target of their message needs to practice more, then shrug it off.

• Members

Don't be a hater. Too many people spend so much time talking about gear around here. It's always good to be reminded that the common denominator everyone should never forget is technique. One guy might rip off a fury of notes over four bars, while another can strike a note just so, hold it, bend it, and milk it for four bars. Either could be masterful or horrible in their execution. And both guys are gonna sound like themselves whether they are holding a DiPinto or a Jackson V... whether plugged into a Pignose or a 5150.

On the other hand, I guess it could be annoying if one is inquiring about pickups or speakers, etc. and some tool drops the
tone is in the fingers
line. Assuming they aren't implying that the target of their message needs to practice more, then shrug it off.

I for one, don't buy "the tone is in your sphincter", as much as I buy "it's technique." My brother came over the other night, he probably had not seen me play in 20 years, and his comment to his 23 yr. old son was, "his sound is killer, it's the technique he uses". Then the bastard says "you are still really good, but you used to be better". I wanted to choke the {censored} out of him!:lol::lol::lol:

BTW, They both play guitar of course. The cool part was I still have great chops. I can tell the tone difference in my different axes+amp, but it is still "me" playing.

I'm picking up my scalloped neck tomorrow from usps. It is going to my tech along with my AXL SRO. Another mod on the way...I'll find out how good my "finger tone" is soon enough I guess......:cop::cop::cop:

• Members

Obviously, giving someone a les paul with a marshall amp isnt gonna automatically make them the next jimmy page. If jpage had a crappy guitar with a harsh ss amp he might not be the guitar hero today.

Not the greatest pics but...

dnelctro.jpg

j_page_w_dano_2%5B1%5D.jpg

...don't fool yourself. Jimmy Page was always destined for greatness.

JimmyPage.jpg

• Members

The "tone is in the fingers" has nothing to do with your physical finger ends, as some dough heads here seem to think, but what you do with them. How you touch the string, your attack, the way you hold the pick, your choice of notes etc.

I still sound like me when I play a Tele into a Fender Twin, but I don't sound the same as when I play a Les Paul into a Marshall. Duh.

• Members

Tone is pitch or timbre to me. And its a sum of all parts IMHO.

If you suck at guitar and have nice gear, you will sound like crap.

If you have a crappy gear and great skill it will sound like someone with skill playing on garbage.

If you have crappy gear and no talent you will sound like me.

• Members

Tone is in the amplifier! And, that's the secret to how Jack White is able to get some great tones out of a plastic guitar.

But, if you've watched enough of Frets99's videos, you know what the phrase, "Tone is in the fingers," really means. No matter what gear Frets uses, it sounds like Frets!
Tone is in the fingers, the amp, the guitar, the pedals...the gear. In the hierarchy of importance for great tone, the player is more important than the gear

Absolutely correct.

I've always approached it this way.

• Members

But, if you've watched enough of Frets99's videos, you know what the phrase, "Tone is in the fingers," really means. No matter what gear Frets uses, it sounds like Frets! Tone is in the fingers, the amp, the guitar, the pedals...the gear. In the hierarchy of importance for great tone, the player is more important than the gear.

Exactly. Tone isn't exclusively in the fingers, and I'd think most people in the "tone is in the fingers crowd" would agree with that.

But the fingers, and what you do with them, has a major impact on tone. Good gear also has an impact. But some great players get good tone out of what a lot of people would think is crap gear, and a lot of bad players get crap tone out of expensive equipment.

Tone is in the player's technique, the player's mood, the amp, the guitar, the effects, the cables ....

• Members

This is patently bull{censored}. Jimmy Page, with his engineers and producers that he had, would have pulled off what he did with SX and Agiles, and Bugera and Peavey amps. You can not buy your way to being Jimmy Page.

Archived