school me on playing guitar through my computer

zosoKing5

• Members

This concept blew me away, that you can play your guitar through some software that has all sorts of amps, effects, backing tracks, and recording capabilities, all right there on the computer.

For example, if i got a pod, plugged my guitar into it, could i use guitar rig 3 or some software like that and just play with whatever amp models or effects i wanted?

Im not sure how this works and its a bit intimidating really, so any info you can give me id appreciate.

It seems like a much easier way to riff along with a track and amp/effect models for practice rather than a crappy 15w crate amp.

• Members

Having a POD and Guitar Rig 3 would be a bit redundant, since they are both modeling utilities, just in different formats. If you want to use software like GuitarRig, Amplitude, Revalver, etc you would be best off getting a cheap interface like the Line 6 TonePort products. The TonePorts will work with software other than Line 6's modeling software, although it is included with the TonePort.

You can also get a POD type of thing and plug it straight into the computer and listen through headphones or whatever you use to hear audio on your PC.

• Members

I have a toneport UX1, and it's pretty good for the model's not to mention it comes with some nice sounding effects too, it takes a bit to get used to and get a good feel as to how to work with the program. My only complaint is that some of the stuff doesn't sound genuine or feel genuine, it really feels digital, you know? might just be me but that's the way i feel about it. Otherwise, good product to essentially try out virtually any amp/stack/combo/effect pedal it has on there.

• Members

ok...so line 6 toneport, and i could use that with whatever softwear i prefered. Or the pod xt with the included stuff.hmm. thanks. i just needed to know what is out there and i can check out the reviews for them.

i expect them to sound fake, it would be a bit much to think a program could replicate a real tube amp.

• Members

im gonna cough up for the amp, but i cant play that thing at night, and this piece of {censored} crate 15w isnt cutting it. its farting scales out at me as i play through the headphones.

hopefully the revalver isnt going to castrate my bank account...

edit- that goldbundle looks to be a steal! damn so much to research. thanks alot for your help, one and all.

• Members

If you go the headphone route, just be careful of the levels.

My old amp sounded great through headphones, but I realized that I was getting more tinnitus when using them. Thus I went back to playing through the amp. I found that I could play at a decent volume and really not annoy people. Oh yea and out of respect for others I don't play before ten in the morning and after ten at night, by seven I'm usually worn out anyway.

The master volume is your friend :)

Edit: If you play at the same volume as your typical (quite) radio your not going to be heard in the next room, unless you have paper thin walls.

I still say keep the money and put it into an amp, you will keep an amp forever, software will last a few years tops.

If your still wanting effect get either a roland microcube or a vox valvetronics. Both have headphone sockets.

• Members

I had a toneport for about 2 weeks and was completely and utterly underwhelmed. So much so that I returned it.

Sorry, but the models just weren't there yet. It sounded bad, had latency, the software crashed, etc... maybe someday.

• Members

I plug into my mbox and play amplitube in the pro tools environment...

it's OK But, it's basically a solid state emulator. Pretty flat by comparison to the real deal.

I really have to tweak it forever to feel like I found a cool tone - then the next time I fire it up, I'm tweaking again... you just don't stay satisfied.

• Members

I have a POD X3, and I use it with Amplitube by putting the X3 into tuner mode.. It sends a raw signal into the computer and Amplitube takes it from there.. Simple..

Yes, using the X3 with other modeling software is kind of redundant... But then, when you were a kid, did you really NEED more than the 8 color box of crayons? Wasn't it cool to get the box of 64? It's never a bad thing to have more available tones..

And to the person that puked out this gem of ignorance "If your serious about your guit, just cough up for a decent amp." all I can say is :facepalm: You really need to educate yerself on what modelers can do.. Tubes, bah..

• Members

I live in a quiet apartment building so I don't play through a real amp. I got a little Peavey Valveking Royal 8, 5W tube, but I just can't stand playing guitar at low volumes, so I play through my computer using headphones, so I could really hear myself playing.

I have a Line6 Guitarport which I use as an audio interface to connect my guitar to my computer, but these days I don't use the Line6 software. I have Amplitube 2, Guitar Rig 3, Gearbox and GTR Waves. But I only use Amplitube 2 because it has amazing sound quality (IMO), and many options. The others sound kinda fake to me (especially Line6 gearbox), but with Amplitube 2 I can get realistic sounds. I tried Vox Tonelab but I didn't like it much, I found that I can get better tones with Amplitube so I sold it.

If I can recommend a modeler, I'd recommend Amplitube 2, sounds the realest to me. I miss playing through an amp but I'm satisfied with the sound I get with it.

• Members

I plug into my mbox and play amplitube in the pro tools environment...

it's OK But, it's basically a solid state emulator. Pretty flat by comparison to the real deal.

I really have to tweak it forever to feel like I found a cool tone - then the next time I fire it up, I'm tweaking again... you just don't stay satisfied.

Here's a clip (mic'd amplifier - mbox2)

• Members

Get an ART usb project series, and you can do usb out to the computer. One thing i might recommend (haven't tried this personally) is then using the computer line out to hook it up to a speaker cab. You'd probably get a pretty nice tone.

Yeah, I've wondered about that. Mine runs into a GX5 and JBLs

• Members

I use a Line 6 Tone Port UX1. Gear Box into Audacity. I recorded a little something and uploaded it onto MySpace. Click on the link in my sig and see if you like how it sounds.

I forgot to mention. Audacity is free and LAME is free. The UX1 I think is around $80 brand new.

• Members

Here's 2 thread links to a little project I've been working on teaching myself and others how to record on their home PC with free software and no additional purchases, then post their recording for free on the internet.....

First using Audacity:
http://truefire.com/forum/showthread.html?t=509

Then using Reaper:
http://truefire.com/forum/showthread.html?t=961

I'm going to be getting into some free effects (there are a bazillion available) this weekend. I'm convinced you can do some pretty decent stuff without buying anything.

and stop and look around at the rest of the place when you are there:wave:

• Members

well, i picked up the line 6 gear box gold bundle for $99 on sweetwater, should arrive thursday or friday. For that cheap how can you go wrong?

mandooks- i really dig how that came out, and your setup will be very similar to mine for recording. im super excited now.

wolfboy1- thanks for showing me those 2 programs. Im going to give audacity a run once i figure out the basics of the gearbox do-hicky first.

ill report back in a few weeks/months, i want to explore the product properly before giving my thoughts on it. thanks for the advice,all.

Archived