Best guitar for under $500.00?

Mikeman75

• Members

Dunno if this is too heavy for you if you wanna play hard rock as well, I mean. Since it only has two dimebuckers, also the shape is quite radical.

Why? Because the Dean V neck fits perfectly in the hand, but it's still able to be fast enough for wicked shreds. The shape makes it able to sit with the guitar while playing it and feeling comfortable, unlike gibson flying V's and RR guitars. Also the shape is a love/hate matter.

And if you like the brutal sound of the dimbuckers, it's a great deal
:)

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Dean-Razorback-DB-Electric-Guitar-514870-i1328231.gc

Here's a pic of mine:

DSC_0432.jpg

THAT for under $500.00?! I love Razorbacks. But I read somewhere that the cheaper ones could range anywhere from amazing to crap in quality.

And, about the "too heavy" thing... I PLAY METAL. LOTS OF IT. I'll be running it through a Digitech RP-70 (possibly a 90 or 250 if I get the cash). So, it won't be too heavy.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

THAT for under $500.00?! I love Razorbacks. But I read somewhere that the cheaper ones could range anywhere from amazing to crap in quality.

And, about the "too heavy" thing... I PLAY METAL. LOTS OF IT. I'll be running it through a Digitech RP-70 (possibly a 90 or 250 if I get the cash). So, it won't be too heavy.

They have ones marked down to 300 on MF I think...

• Members

definitely the sg. the money you save could go towards some nice pickups. bare knuckes anybody? or if you're strapped for cash like me some guitar fetish's.

I don't like modding/dropping in new pickups. I find a guitar with pickups I want stock. I always f--- something up.

• Members

I was looking at that series... is the entire series inexpensive, or just that one?

I also looked at the lower to mid RG series (Ibanez).

The 520's were in the $500 range when they first came out. They have reduced the price. They are great guitars. I have two RG's and an S series with edge and zr trems. If you were in the market for a floating trem guitar I would steer you in that direction. If you want a straight ahead kick ass double humbucker guitar you would be hard pressed to find a better guitar than the 520 (IMHO).

• Members

Ibanez are nice guitars, but i wouldn't recomend you the lower models for metal, because you will note some lack of..i don't know how to call it..."wheight" maybe.

I haven't tried all Ibanez, but I think they are very "thin" guitars, better for virtuous playing (Vai, Satriani), but for metal, IMO, they don't have enough muscle.

As I'd recommended you before, IMO, Schechter or Cort, are cheap and very nice guitars for metal.....Maybe a B.C. Rich would be cool too. I would stick to those 3 brands. I don't know other american brands, since i'm from Europe

Che:thu:ers

• Members

I know you said trem's isnt your thing, but check this out:

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product?sku=518115X

I mean, that's not bad at all, not my cup of tea with the binding there but hey, that's a pretty damn good setup for that price. The SA body, speaking from personal experience, is a very light body, and comfortable to play with, not to mention I own the AX-400FM, of which you were looking at a guitar in that same series, by comparison, the ibanez is both more versatile, more comfortable to play with sitting down or sitting up, and has a faster neck. Hope this helps.

• Members

I just looked back in the posts and saw you were asking about the AX-260, of which I just read the stastics compared to my current AX-400FM, and I think they are close enough that you can take my incoming review of the AX-400 to heart.

VERRRYYYY light, like wow. I have a triple braid red monkey pure leather strap that weighs alot that cant be put on other guitars, just makes them too heavy, but works for this thing. Now, the sustain? negligeble, I see in other reviews it says it's godly, well, it's not bad, but it's not amazing as others claim. Very bright sounding, in case thats a surprise, it will make you change your EQ settings if your used to mahogony's. Now, the lesser things. The body shape is wicked, and goes great with the inlay, but it can be great and bad at the same time, you would be surprised how much stuff you can hit with such an awkward shaped guitar, so expect to have to make "wide turns" as we say in driving terms. My biggest thing with the guitar, is it lacks depth, it lacks character or soul. If I had to summarize the guitar quickly, I would say that it is very light, a really nice neck and is pretty fast, but it made entirely for sheer gain and attack. Hope I helped without being too redundant.

• Members

Let me understand the progress of this thread. You provide us some, but not a lot of detail in your original post then people make all sorts of fantastic recommendations only for you to shoot down later with things you like and dislike that should have been in the original thread. Did I get it right?

Archived