I've been pirated!

kurfu

• Members

Yeah... I found myself on a few Asian sites, apparently for download... usually all I see is my band name in English and maybe one of my images.

Maybe that's why, when I got my one and only royalty check form ASCAP (so far) the bulk of it (almost 10 dollars!) was from Japan. And about a buck and a half from S. Africa.

So I'm big in Japan -- and in the Townships! :D

Or not. Someone suggested that it might well be part of some 'class-action' type of thing. I'm not sure how many of my tracks are actually registered with ASCAP -- I'm not actually fond of them, I hate the jerks who roll out to the coffeehouses and bars trying to force struggling business owners to pay thousands for "live performance" licenses... and now in addition to BMI and ASCAP sending out their thugs -- er, enforcement agents (they act like thugs, bullying and threatening small business people, telling them they'll sue them out of business unless they give the agencies their vig) -- even the pathetic losers SESAC are fielding 'enforcement agents' to try to browbeat and intimidate the handful of live entertainment venues that solo artists and folkies can play at. I mean, WTF in the US is on SESAC, for crying out loud? Yet they want thousands from every little coffee house that's ever let a folkie up on a stool.

It's bad, really thuggish behavior. But you know what, "my" organization doesn't really pay much attention to guys like me. They're all about servicing the big publishers...

Archived