Moog Guitar

timmit65

• Members

I haven't heard any sound from this thing, so I'll hold my opinion until then.

Dan

The video was up on April 1, to make people think it was an April Fool's joke.

Online video/audio is not the best way to truly judge an instrument's sound, but it sounded like an updated Fernandes Sustainer guitar to me, albeit with more premium parts/construction.

• Members

I am huge into guitar synth stuff and the concept of this instrument very much interests me. Unfortunately the cost is a big deterrent, and the guitar itself is pretty gross to me. I really don't like those boutique, fancy wood instruments.

• Members

I am huge into guitar synth stuff and the concept of this instrument very much interests me. Unfortunately the cost is a big deterrent, and the guitar itself is pretty gross to me. I really don't like those boutique, fancy wood instruments.

$6000 is a LOT of coin. I am very interested in this, but the $6000 is a huge deterrent.

I know you probably know this, but just for the record, this is NOT a guitar synthesizer or MIDI guitar.

The video was on http://www.moogmusic.com/ (the Home Page) but it's been taken down now. It didn't show the guitar very well except for sudden flashes, which have been posted on the above blog, and showed someone playing a guitar in a heavily treated, dark video. You could hear that the guitar had intriguing possibilities, and had a lot of textural nuances, all the way from a pluck followed by infinitely sustaining notes to sounding like a koto or banjo (IOW, a very short pluck, and virtually no sustain).

• Members

$6000 is a LOT of coin. I am very interested in this, but the $6000 is a huge deterrent.

The OP's post also mentioned plans for a "lower cost" production model. About $3000, which will still be high enough to make Moog a target for those who are frustrated by not being able to afford it (which is funny because Buchla and Serge get away with charging a LOT more for their synths).

• Members

which is funny because Buchla and Serge get away with charging a LOT more for their synths

But a guitar is not a synth, and many very nice guitars can be purchased for well under $1000. It's what the market will accept that dictates the success of a product, rather than the product's inherent capabilities. I'm sure this Moog model will be really cool, but I don't know that the cool factor translates to a lot of guitar players pulling out their wallets.

• Members

I know you probably know this, but just for the record, this is NOT a guitar synthesizer or MIDI guitar.

Actually, at the time of my post I kinda didn't. Amazing what a moving target this thing has been so far.

From what I've read now, it looks like it's some sort of super Ebow/Sustainer sort of thing. The concept still sounds cool, and I could get a lot of mileage out of a toy like that. But for that money, and that guitar - no thanks. They should pair up with Fender or something.

Archived