Wilkinson vs Floyd Rose. Which sucks tone more?

dilldorrow

• Members

I was considering putting a wilkinson trem on my strat, but I have heard that it will change the tone in a negative way.

I am wondering, will it change the tone as much as an original floyd and will it make the tone as thin as a floyd or will it make it ever thinner?

All comments appreciated, Thanks, Shawn.

• Members

It depends on the setup of the trem as well. If it is set to be flush with the body there will be less tone "suckage" than if it is set floating. Although this then means upbends aren't possible. Whats on the strat now? If it's just a standard trem i can't imagine either of the two options will have much of a negative effect on the tone, if any.

Personally, I'd go with the wilkinson just for the more classic look.

• Members

Tone suckage is overblown. If the guitar and bridge are properly set up, and the bridges are of quality material, you'll be fine.

agreed 100%.. Play more trem equipped guitars, and read less snorkeldickage on message boards.. Develop your OWN opinions of what treams sound like. I've never picked up a Jackson with a Floyd, or an Ibanez with an Edge, or my Carvin which has a Wilkinson and went "wow, this tone is thiiiiiiiiiin!" :rolleyes:

• Members

agreed 100%.. Play more trem equipped guitars, and read less snorkeldickage on message boards.. Develop your OWN opinions of what treams sound like. I've never picked up a Jackson with a Floyd, or an Ibanez with an Edge, or my Carvin which has a Wilkinson and went "wow, this tone is thiiiiiiiiiin!"
:rolleyes:

:thu:

I have a Wilkinson and a Edge. I used to have licensed FR's. I've never noticed any discernable differences between those and the hard tail versions

of each respective guitar.

• Members

agreed 100%.. Play more trem equipped guitars, and read less snorkeldickage on message boards.. Develop your OWN opinions of what treams sound like. I've never picked up a Jackson with a Floyd, or an Ibanez with an Edge, or my Carvin which has a Wilkinson and went "wow, this tone is thiiiiiiiiiin!"
:rolleyes:

Yes and Yes.

PaulS

Archived