Gibsonites: 05 LP Custom - to EMG or not to EMG...

HaloJem

• Members

I'd never ever even consider that - we're talking personal pref here right? I just wouldn't want to lose the LP Custom tone that it already has for high gain sterility.

To me that would be tearing down a great guitar. Just get yourself some Schecter that's already loaded for bear with EMGs.

• Members

Consider a set of Duncan Live Wire Dave Mustaine actives. I love them in my Carvin CT6 wich has the same woods as your LP. They give the output and easy harmonics like an EMG but somehow retain a fat organic quality. I really can't believe people are not raving about these pickups.

• Members

Thanks to you all who have weighed in with advice. To the guy who said something about adding a trem, adornments, etc. - cute comments from a die-hard Gibby, I'm sure - but thats not what I asked about!

Who should have a $3k plus guitar sitting at home while he gigs with Jacksons & Ibanez just because they push his preamp harder on the tone end ?? Not this guy!

I totally disagree that EMGs sterilize your tone. Do you think my Jackson & McSwain Tin Top (3x as heavy as RR3) sound the same? Play one chord with both guitars on my rig & I'll prove you wrong. :p

There is no country record I'm gonna do with this LP - I'm not going to back up The Olsen Twins when they put out their record - I'm playing {censored}ing metal and that's that. Rant over.

Truth is, without going with a few "install & see how it sounds" passive Pups - I'm not carving the LP like a pumpkin anytime soon. :)

• Members

You don't have to mod the guitar's body to put in EMG's. The pups themselves are a direct replacement and will go into the stock pup rings.

You will however have to change the pots to long shaft 25K pots. You will also have to change the output jack for the stereo one that should come with the kit. Last but not least you'll have to add the 9V battery but that should easily fit into the control cavity.

Should you decide to put the guitar back to original you'll be able to do it without issue.

• Members

Absolutely! There's plenty of room in there for a battery.

Yeah, I thought so.

One thing to mention though is that if you get the Kerry King set with boost switch I had a tech tell me there is NOT enough room for everything. (on a side note he also told me the boost sounds like a barrel of steaming {censored} YMMV!)

• Members
Thanks to you all who have weighed in with advice. To the guy who said something about adding a trem, adornments, etc. - cute comments from a die-hard Gibby, I'm sure - but thats not what I asked about!

Who should have a $3k plus guitar sitting at home while he gigs with Jacksons & Ibanez just because they push his preamp harder on the tone end ?? Not this guy!

I totally disagree that EMGs sterilize your tone. Do you think my Jackson & McSwain Tin Top (3x as heavy as RR3) sound the same? Play one chord with both guitars on my rig & I'll prove you wrong.
:p

There is no country record I'm gonna do with this LP - I'm not going to back up The Olsen Twins when they put out their record - I'm playing {censored}ing metal and that's that. Rant over.

Truth is, without going with a few "install & see how it sounds" passive Pups - I'm not carving the LP like a pumpkin anytime soon.
:)

Okay, you've made you're point, just do me a favor and don't go all '81s. My experience is limited to 81s and 85s. I like the 85s better and haven't had the chance to try out the 60s yet. But sure, go for it. It's still cheaper than buying a Gibson Zakk Wylde.

Archived