7" vinyl vs. cd's

Filthy

• Members

My band has 3 songs we want to release as a demo. We sound like something Little Steven might like on Underground Garage - girl singer, hand claps, tambourines, a little punk, a little rockabilly, a little old fashioned Chuck Berry-type guitar rock and roll.

We have been thinking of releasing a vinyl 7" as it kind of goes with the look/feel of the band and it seems as though some of our fans are collectors and would dig the "kitschy" side of releasing on vinyl. Others in our local scene have done the same, but most have stuck to the usual cd route for their indie releases.

We get a good turnout and there is quite a bit of local enthusiasm around us, so I think it would sell, but I am not entirely convinced that vinyl is the best way to make sure we get played everywhere - in cars, on radio, in agents offices, on iPods, etc. like a cd would. I don't think we have the budget to release in both formats.

My questions: What have other bands done that have tried a vinyl option and how successful was it? Was it a combo cd/vinyl release? Did they do a 2 for one package: buy the vinyl get a cd with it? If we released on vinyl, would any radio station (college/major) have the patience/equipment to bother listening to it or playing it? Do radio stations generally look at emailed song files from bands?

As well: Is there any fundamental or obvious difference between a "burnt" cd (on a cd-r) and a manufactured cd from a plant/press? To keep the costs down, I was thinking of pressing vinyl and then including a DIY burnt cd. We have a graphic artist that works with us that could silk screen the label side of the cd (making it look manufactured) and we could just package it like a little record in a paper sleeve, just like it's vinyl counterpart. If you stick a cd-r into a stereo, is there anything noticeable or on the technical end that would make it look like a cheesy burn from my home office if the outside/labeling looks slick?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

• Members

Steal a pressing machine and then hijack a popular radio station's corporate office. Demand to have your record played over the air...and then sadly realize that record's audio format is outdated and cannot be played on the station's equipment.

Seriously, I posted the same thread a few weeks ago. Just go with the cd format. Everyone is rockin ipods and iphones these days anyway. Consumers are saturated with so much material that they get dizzy and claustrophobic from it. When they're finally ready to open and give your material a chance, put it in a format that's universal and easy for them to access.

• Members

Outdated?!

Are you serious? Bands in my area can't keep their vinyl releases in stock. I know of two really good bands releasing vinyl in December (one 7", one LP) and they're all the buzz. Guaranteed, their release shows are sold out too.

That, and ALL the radio stations that would play a rock band have a turntable in the studio; or, they would at least play a CD-R.

In my opinion, the best balance is including a digital download receipt. Lot's of pressing plants offer this service and it wouldn't be impossible to implement yourself with a savvy enough web designer. I mean, how hard is it to generate 500 unique codes with any real programming experience?

High fidelity, physical record for home playing and a straight to iPod solution for anything else. That's how I buy all my music these days and it can't be beat...

• Moderators

If you have not released any music prior, I would be hesitant to do this on vinyl, especially as a 'demo'. THe associated costs ca nget pretty steep very quickly, where as I think you will find that a CD will be a better short term solution, espeically to 'test the waters' and see if you can move product. If the CD does well...really well, it should generate enough ROI to finance a vinyl reissue if warranted...but by then, hopefully the band will have more material...

• Members

Digital download receipt? What is this?

That means, when you buy a record from Saddle Creek, Merge, Barsuk, Polyvinyl, or any other record label committed to making vinyl records a desirable music format in the 21st century, included in the record is a code that you can use to download the record in mp3 form from their website.

Like I said, best of both worlds. A quality pressing for my record collection and a convenient digital copy for my ipod.

• Members

That means, when you buy a record from Saddle Creek, Merge, Barsuk, Polyvinyl, or any other record label committed to making vinyl records a desirable music format in the 21st century, included in the record is a code that you can use to download the record in mp3 form from their website.

Like I said, best of both worlds. A quality pressing for my record collection and a convenient digital copy for my ipod.

Actually this sounds like a great deal. To the OP, this might be a lucrative option for you, if you can find a way to host the mp3s on your site or myspace. However, I still say bear in mind that not everyone feels vinyl is nostalgic. So you're still limiting the amount of people who might hear your music. Some listeners are pretty cut and dry...hand them a cd and move on. They prefer to figure out their own audio format from there.

• Members

Someone please provide a breakdown of putting out low run vinyl. Everyone i know that's done it just says "oh, the record company handled that" or "DJ's do it all the time" but everything I google is very expensive.

Anyone got links? Our band wants to throw down a 7 inch EP of oldie style throwbacks on vinyl, vinyl is so popular here that the local alt-weekly has a special section devoted to reviewing vinlyl releases.

• Members

There is a small indie label that will be putting out the initial run of probably 500 pressings of a 3-song 7". The punk rockers/garage rock kids are really into vinyl; in punk/hardcore circles there is a well-developed distro network that focuses on vinyl.

I was reluctant at first, but after looking at the numbers and the response to other bands, I think it is a cool way to go. If we were a metal band or more "commercial", I don't think it would fit. But because we are a straight up rock and roll outfit whose influences are all best heard on vinyl, I think it is a good route for us.

Back to my original post however, we have decided that we are still going to do a small number of cd's in case we hit a crowd one night that is clearly not interested in anything but cd's and also to cheaply get our stuff out to radio, agents, reviewers, etc. The cd though, will be a mini version of the 7" - we have in-house graphic/screen printing abilities with a member of the band, so we can do slick looking cd-r's in sleeves that match the 7". The cd won't be there to compete with the vinyl release - if anything it will be a "buy the 7" get a free cd/cd for an extra buck" kind of thing. The focus will be the vinyl.

• Members

I think we are pressing it with United Record Pressing in Nashville - the prices generally are more than cd's but it depends on what you want. A full length cd with all the artwork etc. is about the same per unit as a vinyl 7". Our audience wants 7", so to press cd's that don't get sold doesn't make sense; I'd rather sell out of the vinyl.

R

• 2 weeks later...

Archived