Anyone Have a Hollow/Semi-Hollow Bodied Guitar?

mikespe

• Members

Well I decided on a Hollow Body. I decided to go with the Ibanez AF75TDG. My reasons were the Bigsby style whammy, looks (it's tacky and I love it!) and playability. I had an Ibanez Artcore before BUT I didn't have my tube amp and I didn't know much about guitars then. Hollows and semis shine with tube amps IMHO. I didn't like the pickups but now I have the knowledge to replace them myself. I will see how these sound before I buy new ones (GFS LIverpools are supposed to be great replacements!). I also like American Musical's payment plan. They send you the guitar BEFORE it's paid off! I bought a 10 pack of D'Addario strings and the guitar and I paid $163 and change PLUS free shipping. It will be paid off by January and NO INTEREST! That's how I bought my MIM Tele and Fender VibroChamp.

I was offered this same guitar in Aquamarine for $300 but the color just didn't do it for me. For some reason I wanted all the bling on this guitar.

Anyway, I hope American Musical will ship this today (they usually ship same day if ordered before 3:00pm) because it would probably arrive by Monday or Tuesday!

48762.jpg

• Members

Well so much for good customer service from AMS! They charged my account twice and they can't do ANYTHING about it until tomorrow morning and I won't be around then. Which means I can't get my money back until MONDAY! So much for Christmas Shopping! I guess I will be reluctant from buying from them again!

• Members

I'm really happy with my 5120. The build quality is good and the neck profile suits me.

I played it stock for a year and I liked it. I does benefit from some upgrades though. Put on TV Jones pickups (I also hear good things about the less expensive GFS pickups), upgrade the bridge, and put a larger spring in the Bigsby and it will compare very favorably to the more expensive Gretsch Anniversary models.

TomCatswindow.jpg

Love your Gretsch :thu:

What TV Jones do you have in yours now ?

Why a bigger Bigsby spring ???

Here is my Artcore w. TV Jones TV-HT's :

08122007090.jpg

• Members

I'm really happy with my 5120. The build quality is good and the neck profile suits me.

I played it stock for a year and I liked it. I does benefit from some upgrades though. Put on TV Jones pickups (I also hear good things about the less expensive GFS pickups), upgrade the bridge, and put a larger spring in the Bigsby and it will compare very favorably to the more expensive Gretsch Anniversary models.

TomCatswindow.jpg

To you or anyone else with a G5120...

Does the 1-11/16 nut translate to wider-spaced strings there than a 1-5/8" nut?

Archived