Are any of you doing MUSIC in Surround?

• Members

Never been to a symphonic orchestra at a nice venue, I take it.

Good call!

And I'll take my listening position out a good ways into the audience for that one, too -- maybe even in the loge or balcony, depending on the venue.

It's not just blend issues* that would put me there -- although that's a huge issue -- but also, critically, time alignment.

I've never heard an actual performance from the middle of an orchestra but I've definitely moved around in the middle during recording session set up and it's really immediate and interesting (esp. for an audiophile/engineering type) but it is not a good place to hear the work...

For one thing, in a well-rehearsed, sophisticated orchestra, everyone will be playing temporally in such a way that the sound from their instruments will reach the conductor (and presumably those behind him) with the proper rhythmic alignment.

There can be many score feet from the percussion line at the back of the orchestra to the front of the strings and that can translate into a long damn time... and a lot of 'playing ahead of the beat' by the percussionists and horns. If everyone's doing it right -- it all comes out in proper rhythmic alignment at the front. Not in the middle. ;)

*My old subscription seat at the symphony was at the front of the upper balcony. It was a little dizzying and there was no leg room -- but the sound was great. When my mom came on board, we ended up getting seats in the 15th row center. It's definitely a more immediate experience -- but the orchestra sounded better, a better blend overall -- from up in the balcony. Ah... but the rich folks' seats are big and relatively comfortable and there's so much leg room... ;)

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived