Would Geddy Lee have made it to the top 100 on IDOL??

• Members

...but then there was this beautiful lady in the record shop who asked for an old Peter Gabriel album, the one with Sledgehammer on it,

Technically, I believe So qualifies as a new Peter Gabriel album.

• Members
Or Sonny Bono or other lousy vocalists who sold millions of records??? If IDOL was here since the 60's , much of our favorite music would never have been recorded.

Dan

Geddy'd have Ricky Miner's job... :)

Seriously, though, particular to Rush--remember that even in their own starting-out time, the record company "suits" weren't interested in them--they had to start Moon Records to put out their first album.

One might argue that a band like Rush--especially with the amount and quality of live playing they've always had--might have it a little easier today, with TuneCore and MySpace and Internet distribution, etc.

Scott

• Members

And can you imagine Simon's reaction to someone like Buddy Holly showing up with the suit and the horn-rimmed glasses?

Scott

No, Geddy wouldn't make it. Here's a list of others who wouldn't either:

Neil Young (also Canadian!)

Joni Mitchell (omigod, eh!)

Craig Anderton

Levon Helm

Paul

John

George

Ringo (well, of course...)

Tiny Tim

Blue2Blue.

Actually, I can't believe that any of the above would have tolerated the bull$()*$ that make up that show. I can't watch it.

A point of disinterest for Blue2blue: Tiny Tim was an incredibly good uke player and an avid historian of that instrument. Of course, a Uke player could only hope to make it as a novelty act during those times.

• Members
When any American Idol has had a 40-year music career, played in front of the number of people, released as many gold and platinum-certified albums, and influenced untold respected musicians, as Geddy Lee has...then maybe that kind of back-handed analogy might be warranted.

I really get sick of people ripping on Geddy Lee and Rush, in general.

Ever seen Geddy Lee in concert?

To have that kind of uncanny, innate facility on an instrument, have singing ability, plus playing keyboards with your foot....and people want to rip on the guy?

{censored} that.

Give the guy some props.

I wouldn't call him a lousy vocalist, or put him in a category with Sonny Bono.

Whether you like his style, or not...that's simply asinine.

And I'm not one of those dreaded "Rush Nazis" who lives and breathes Rush, and takes offense atany slight tossed the band's way...far from it.

But to see
any
musician who's had as long and influential a career, as that, get slagged for no reason really chaps my ass.

Damn right! :thu:

The other thing is that Idol would have made Geddy do a country song, some R&B, a Partridge Family tune, blah blah blah.

I liked the first season of Idol, but not only is it crap, but I don't give a crap about the people who vote nor the judges (well maybe Randy Jackson - was a bass player, tends to know what's good...)

People want instant gratification and have a 30 second attention span.

There was another show on - more band related - where Sheila E. was one of the judges. She seemed to know what she was talking about...

• Members

Geddy Lee is certainly a very unique singer. I just spent a few bucks to listen to some songs of the band she sings with. However it didn't touch me in the slightest, actually it is almost scary in an erotic sense. Any bloke cares to explain to a bloke from Swaziland what make her so attractive musical wise, or does she have huge boobs and legs down to the floor or what?

• Members

Geddy Lee is certainly a very unique singer. I just spent a few bucks to listen to some songs of the band she sings with. However it didn't touch me in the slightest, actually it is almost scary in an erotic sense. Any bloke cares to explain to a bloke from Swaziland what make her so attractive musical wise, or does she have huge boobs and legs down to the floor or what?

Trolling just isn't your bag, Angelo...stick to the high road.

• Members

Craig Anderton

Levon Helm

Paul

John

George

Tiny Tim

Blue2Blue.

Actually, I can't believe that any of the above would have tolerated the bull$()*$ that make up that show. I can't watch it.

EXACTLY. And the list is long.

• Members

Craig Anderton

Levon Helm

Paul

John

George

Tiny Tim

Blue2Blue.

Add to that "The Flaming Lips"

Dan

• Members

I think it's a bit funny how most of us are a bunch of musicians discussing how some of the greatest musical legends would fare on that show (Would Stravinsky make it on American Idol? Bob Dylan? Should we care?) How did a TV talent show became the measuring stick by which all music is judged? We can say we don't, but the fact that we are talking about it in this thread shows that it is very much on our radar. I'm not criticizing anyone--I watch it myself sometimes--just pointing out the reality of what a huge cultural force AI has become. Kinda scary.

• Members
Damn right!
:thu:

The other thing is that Idol would have made Geddy do a country song, some R&B, a Partridge Family tune, blah blah blah.

I liked the first season of Idol, but not only is it crap, but I don't give a crap about the people who vote nor the judges (well maybe Randy Jackson - was a bass player, tends to know what's good...)

People want instant gratification and have a 30 second attention span.

There was another show on - more band related - where Sheila E. was one of the judges. She seemed to know what she was talking about...

I think that was the "Next Great American Band." And I do have to give some credit to AI voters--they did vote for David Cook, who was probably the most well-rounded actual musician in the competition this year--and I think they voted for him because of it.

Randy also probably should get a bit more consideration on this particular thread--since he's also a producer...

Scott

• Members
I think it's a bit funny how most of us are a bunch of musicians discussing how some of the greatest musical legends would fare on that show (Would Stravinsky make it on American Idol? Bob Dylan? Should we care?) How did a TV talent show became the measuring stick by which all music is judged?

Well it's not. That's why I made the Stravinsky comment as a joke. :idea:;)

American Idol is a contest show set up to judge young singers; and even that, they do in a traditional way, i.e. no vocal stylists.

Best,

Geoff

Archived