Need info on SX Les Paul Jr - type guitars

EllenGtrGrl

• Members

I've really only planned to get one guitar during 2009 - a baritone guitar. So, a short time ago, I looked on Rondo's website, to see what they have to offer in the way of baritone guitars (I didn't see much that interested me). While I was looking through the website, I ran into this little honey:

gg1sc2ts1.jpg

I've owned a few Les Paul Jrs. and Specials over the years, and when you you run them through a high gain amp, they seriously rock out (and I do mean in a heavy music context). While the SX above is a bolt-on neck, guitar, at $129 list, it certainly would provide some cheap LP Junior thrills. BUT, I don't want to have to cough up 200 or $300 in hardware and pickups, just to get it up to the level of my Dano Hodad qualitywise. Does anybody have any experience with these guitars? How are they from your experience? Are they decent? Are they junk? How do they sound (in a hard rock, and if possible, metal musical context, not the blues or Rolling Stones-type classic rock)?

This is weird. I already have 2 guitars, and really hadn't planned on more than 3 guitars.

• Members

From all of my experience with SX guitars and basses, I've come to the conclusion that I'd be perfectly happy with everything stock except the pots. I've run into some scratchy pots on SX gear. But it's a cheap and easy fix.

I've been eyeing one, too... Hubba hubba.

• Members

You can't put $200 into a les paul junior. A wraparound bridge, new pickup and pots, cap, tuners, and nut still would be under $100 for GFS stuff.

I'd say check around ebay for the old SG juniors. The cherry red ones are solid 'hog and they seem like pretty cool guitars for the same kinda thing.

• Members

I've never played one of the SX LP types, but I've owned one strat and one Tele and I've played two others. My overall impression is the electronics (switch and pots) are crap... everything else is decent. If I was going to keep the tele, I would have changed the pots and switch and be done with it. If I was going to keep the strat, I would have changed the pots, the neck pickup and probably installed good saddles at minimum, probably would have added a heavy block as well.

Overall, very impressive guitar for the money. I think I paid $90 for the strat and $100 for the tele and they were definitely as nice as any sub $300 brand new Squier I've played and I'm a big Squier fan.

• Members

I don't do Metal. But the P90s in SXs are very brash sounding, in a totally good way. It might sound good on metal, I just dunno. But I like them alot. I'd buy one of these over an Epi and I've owned those too.

I heartilly recommend them.

But,

I'd get a used one. They used to be setnecks. I have several.

I have a new setneck mahog:

SXMahogJr1.jpg

I have an old mahog with block inlays:

SXJR-1.jpg

I have a used TV:

SxJr.jpg

I'd sell any of these for (at most) the same price as a new bolt on one, shipped.

I also have these. This first one would be good for metal. It has great sounding HOT ass pickups.

SXGG1GT.jpg

SXGG1004.jpg

All of them are stupid good guitars for the money. And about that "for the money" part. I own lots of supposedly better guitars, but the SXs are more often more "fun".

• Members

I don't do Metal. But the P90s in SXs are very brash sounding, in a totally good way. It might sound good on metal, I just dunno. But I like them alot. I'd buy one of these over an Epi and I've owned those too.

I heartilly recommend them.

But,

I'd get a used one. They used to be setnecks. I have several.

I have a new setneck mahog:

SXMahogJr1.jpg

I have an old mahog with block inlays:

SXJR-1.jpg

I have a used TV:

SxJr.jpg

I'd sell any of these for (at most) the same price as a new bolt on one, shipped.

I also have these. This first one would be good for metal. It has great sounding HOT ass pickups.

SXGG1GT.jpg

SXGG1004.jpg

All of them are stupid good guitars for the money. And about that "for the money" part. I own lots of supposedly better guitars, but the SXs are more often more "fun".

i've been trying to like P90's. really, i have. maybe i just haven't found the right ones. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

i gotta talk to you about these:poke:

Archived