Gibson SG pick-up problem. NEED HELP!

denimboy

• Members

I got my friend's Gibson SG that has some sort of pick up problem. When switched to bridge pick-up, there is no signal coming from the guitar. I opened the back plate and verified the switch and connections with pots and everything is working properly. Now I can't look into the pick-ups because the lower part is soldered to the cover part. There is only a braid shielded wire going through the pick-up.

Any tips ? I don't want to mess the pick-up's inside. :confused:

• Members

Most definitive way to check to see if it is the pickup is to hook it up directly to a guitar chord and try it out. I don't know what you've got for jumpers and stuff so you may have to be creative, but it will isolate it. If its good then you've probably got a bad connection or possibly a bad switch. If you get nothing you know what the problem is.

• Members

I cleaned the switch and checked for continuity point-to-point form guitar output to bridge adn everything seems okay. I also tested the guitar while tapping on the connections and none is failing. I'm pretty much sure it is the pup now. Should I open it ?

Archived