Best Least Expensive Refret Place In US?

louloomis

• Members

Yes, I know everyone is going to hate this thread because I put the terms "best" and "least expensive" together but, I did so for a reason.

Where I live, a refret is heading very close to $600 nowadays. I know this job requires a ton of expertise, equipment, time, etc. But I don't have a ton of money and I do have enough guitars that need refrets that I could stand to try to optimize my spending. While I can wait to save up $600 for each refret, I'd rather not spend the next 20 years refretting a bunch of guitars.

Is there someplace in the US which does great, reliable refrets for less money?

I hope I haven't offended anyone and I'm sorry if this topic has been beaten to death already.

Thanks.

LouLoomis

• Members

If I needed a refret I'd do it myself. Cheap and I know it would be done right. It doesn't take a ton of experience and a bunch of expensive tools, but I'd practice on a cheapo before ripping into your favorite guitar. Maple boards are a little trickier than rosewood IMO.

Are you sure they need refretting? If it's never been leveled and recrowned before that's probably all it needs, and that IS easy to do.

• Members

Refretting costs 600$, jesus {censored}ing christ, doesn't a warmoth neck already fretted costs less?

You could buy a warmoth neck, send it to the place I linked-to for a level and crown and ship it back for less than $600.

• Members

If you're not game to do it yourself,
near LA does very good work. It looks from their pricelist that a refret, level and crown, and a full setup would be $314 ($324 for refretting over binding).

Is that price list old? It says 198.00 for a refret or something....where are you getting the $314/324 figure?

LouLoomis

• Members

Is that price list old? It says 198.00 for a refret or something....where are you getting the $314/324 figure?

LouLoomis

I'm assuming, by comparing prices, that his refret price doesn't include a full, final level and crown or a setup afterward. So:

$198 refret

+$88 level and crown

+$38 setup w/ fretwork purchase

---------------------------------------

$324 total

I'm assuming a lot about how his prices are listed. You'd be best to call him and make sure I'm figuring it right. Maybe the refret price does include a full level and crown, I don't know.

• Members

I am in the NY Metro area (expensive place to live) and refrets don't come anywhere close to what you are quoting, Lou. Is this
just
a refret or is there some sexual favor included in the price?

Where are you going for refrets? Peekamoose and Rudy's both charge close to 600.00 so where are you getting your information?

LouLoomis

• Members

Yes, I know everyone is going to hate this thread because I put the terms "best" and "least expensive" together but, I did so for a reason.

Where I live, a refret is heading very close to $600 nowadays. I know this job requires a ton of expertise, equipment, time, etc. But I don't have a ton of money and I do have enough guitars that need refrets that I could stand to try to optimize my spending. While I can wait to save up $600 for each refret, I'd rather not spend the next 20 years refretting a bunch of guitars.

Is there someplace in the US which does great, reliable refrets for less money?

I hope I haven't offended anyone and I'm sorry if this topic has been beaten to death already.

Thanks.

LouLoomis

$600 USD for a refret? Seriously? Man, I'm glad I DIY. You could do it yourself for less than $200 if you don't have any tools, and less than $100 if you do.

• Members

Lou....

I am going to go out on a limb here and guess that you wear a 3 piece suit, have a nice set of alligator shoes, and wear a Rolex(or a Patek Phillipe, or some other watch that is mucho expensive). I am also going to guess that the guitars you speak of are vintage Gibson Les Pauls(or similar). You are also more of a collector than a player(or else you would know $600 is frickin insane).

The Problem is one of 2 things-

1. You look like a rich collector when you walk in, so they are figure you have the money, and they know you dont know any better.

2. They may not want to touch a vintage axe....so they shoot you a high price.

SOLUTION-

Buy a cheap nasty case, dress like a homeless person. When you walk in, dont play anything, dont even look at anything, just walk up to the counter and tell them what you need done. Whenever they give you the price, immediately say it is too much and say that you dont have that much. Ask them if you can put the repair on credit. Then offer them less if they will wait for you to sell a couple of things.

If the problem is #1, they will offer you a better price, if it is #2, then send it somewhere else.

EDIT...By the way, I can look poor as hell if I want to, so send it to me with $300 bucks and I will send it to you with a refret, and I will buy me a nice SX tele.

• Members

Lou....

I am going to go out on a limb here and guess that you wear a 3 piece suit, have a nice set of alligator shoes, and wear a Rolex(or a Patek Phillipe, or some other watch that is mucho expensive). I am also going to guess that the guitars you speak of are vintage Gibson Les Pauls(or similar). You are also more of a collector than a player(or else you would know $600 is frickin insane).

The Problem is one of 2 things-

1. You look like a rich collector when you walk in, so they are figure you have the money, and they know you dont know any better.

2. They may not want to touch a vintage axe....so they shoot you a high price.

SOLUTION-

Buy a cheap nasty case, dress like a homeless person. When you walk in, dont play anything, dont even look at anything, just walk up to the counter and tell them what you need done. Whenever they give you the price, immediately say it is too much and say that you dont have that much. Ask them if you can put the repair on credit. Then offer them less if they will wait for you to sell a couple of things.

If the problem is #1, they will offer you a better price, if it is #2, then send it somewhere else.

EDIT...By the way, I can look poor as hell if I want to, so send it to me with $300 bucks and I will send it to you with a refret, and I will buy me a nice SX tele.

Interesting and very, very sad assumptions. Let's just say that on these points you couldn't be more wrong:

1. I "wear a 3 piece suit, have a nice set of alligator shoes, and wear a Rolex(or a Patek Phillipe, or some other watch that is mucho expensive)."

2. "You are also more of a collector than a player(or else you would know $600 is frickin insane)."

The $600.00 is the price where I live, so you might think it's insane, but it is reality. It has more to do with living in Manhattan than knowing vs. not knowing that that is an insane price. If I didn't have an issue with it, I wouldn't keep trying to find a better deal as I am not rich.

In terms of NOT being a professional, here are some hints about me - you can decide whether I'm "just" a collector or not:

1. I am someone who has won a certain well-known award for my music.

2. I have appeared in the music magazines many of you own on more than one occasion.

3. I am a former member of a group that went on to pretty well known (without me). There has been talk of reforming with me in the group, but no one wanted to do it (except me!). The reunion would have been a headline of a certain festival on the west coast.

4. A film with my music in it won a pretty well-known award.

While I was never rich or famous, I continue to write and record and get positive feedback from the music industry. Obviously LouLoomis is not my real name (I prefer to remain anonymous here). But through my associations I can tell you that there is someone who IS very famous (but not very rich) on these boards, also using an alias. And there is also someone on here who is very, very famous and very, very, VERY rich...who also prefers to use an alias.

Me and the first guy are not wearing Rolexes, 3 piece suits, or have alligator shoes. We merely love music and try to maintain the tools of our trade the best we can. Not everyone who puts out music is rich. You should know that.

I've met many of "The Legends" in my musical genre. Most of them had what would be considered "lower middle class" incomes.

It's sad that your first assumption is the opposite of what the truth is about me. Negativity is truly a damaging force in one's life. Thankfully, I've been spared that curse, and this freedom has helped me a lot.

Just because I am looking for a good deal on a fret job doesn't invalidate my musical successes, does it? If it did, would you be the one to break the news to me?

LouLoomis

• Members

IF you have a Bolt neck guitar you are re-fretting? I would first contact Dan Erlewine in Athens Ohio. I had him do a 70's Telecaster with a Rosewood board. They could be a little tricky because of how thin the rosewood is.

But anyway, hs price's are much better than they are here in New-England and he does SUPERIOR work. This was back in 02-03 so I don't know how busy he is now or even if he will do it. But he was glad to take on my work.

• Members

1. I am someone who has won a certain well-known award for my music.

2. I have appeared in the music magazines many of you own on more than one occasion.

3. I am a former member of a group that went on to pretty well known (without me). There has been talk of reforming with me in the group, but no one wanted to do it (except me!). The reunion would have been a headline of a certain festival on the west coast.

4. A film with my music in it won a pretty well-known award.

So what's a guy like you doing asking about refrets on the internet? Go tell your story to some local stores and I bet you walk out of there with a free refret and an endorsement. :rolleyes:

Archived