New (Tom Anderson) Guitar!

visualrocker69

• Members

Mmmm, I've been lusting after Andersons for a few years now, and finally managed to get one that matched the specs I was looking for EXACTLY. Now I just gotta sell my PRS Custom 24 to finance an Axe-FX and I'm set for the next few years! I hope nothing major surfaces from NAMM that I won't be able to resist. (Choosing to ignore Suhr's existance until I'm safely out of the country :lol:)

Previous owner's pics. Will take some of my own when it arrives :)

32f43yq4.jpg369b3ia8.jpg

cf2b3mb3.jpg

b67e3lj5.jpgccc53dj0.jpg

ce213um3.jpg

As some of you know, there are quite a few variations in Andersons, even within the same model category. I had to wait a long time to find the right one.

Here are the specs:

cf8e3ey3.jpg

Well, I hope it won't dissapoint! I'm sure it won't - it IS an Anderson after all. Other candidates I was considering were a Musicman JP6 BFR and a Parker Fly of some sort.

I think I made the right decision... don't you agree? ;)

• Members

nice, but no bolt-on guitar should cost that much. Leo went with the bolt-on design for one reason: cheap..

The Andersons are awfully pricey, but I think a distinction should be made between the new Anderson two-bolt neck and the Fender-style bolt on. The Fender-style neck joint just slaps two slabs of wood on top of one another and screws them together. The Anderson two-bolt neck locks into the body like a puzzle piece. It's much more expensive to engineer. It eliminates the possibility of misalignment (plenty of Fender-style neck joints are so sloppily engineered that if you unbolt the neck, a shim will fall out), and is claimed to provide better transfer of vibration. It definitely seems to me like a superior system, and I think Anderson is justified in charging a premium for it. Every Anderson I've ever played (only in stores, alas!) has been a beautifully crafted instrument.

• Members

The Andersons are awfully pricey, but I think a distinction should be made between the new Anderson two-bolt neck and the Fender-style bolt on. The Fender-style neck joint just slaps two slabs of wood on top of one another and screws them together. The Anderson two-bolt neck locks into the body like a puzzle piece. It's much more expensive to engineer. It eliminates the possibility of misalignment (plenty of Fender-style neck joints are so sloppily engineered that if you unbolt the neck, a shim will fall out), and is claimed to provide better transfer of vibration. It definitely seems to me like a superior system, and I think Anderson is justified in charging a premium for it. Every Anderson I've ever played (only in stores, alas!) has been a beautifully crafted instrument.

What he said. Beautifully engineered guitars. That one looks fantastic too. Congrats!!

• Members

nice, but no bolt-on guitar should cost that much. Leo went with the bolt-on design for one reason: cheap..

You should really play an Anderson (the price point of which is not far off from the Fender Custom Shop). They are excellent...world class, really.

Also keep in mind that Leo's "cheap" guitar wasn't so inexpensive.

That $420 with case back in 1955 translates to $3300 in today's purchasing power.

• Members

I'll agree with you to a certain extent, but as RaVenCAD pointed out, is the end result going to be a guitar that sounds twice as good as, say, a USA Fender Strat? If so, somebody better go tell Clapton, Gilmour, and Yngwie that they could sound twice as good playing an Anderson! ;)

All joking aside, Anderson's are beautiful, well-made guitars. Much like a Suhr or a Zion. But no way could I justify spending that kind of scratch on a new guitar, but even the used prices are a bit ridiculous (and this is coming from a PRS owner).

• Members

I wouldn't agree that bolt-on is objectively inferior to other constructions. Do you really think all the luthiers would be making bolt-on's if they were of lesser quality? The whole point of boutique guitars is NOT to compromise.

Anyway, I'm not really knowledgable about the technical stuff, but I do know that there are both pro and con arguments for bolt-on construction, as well as ANY construction, or anything else for that matter, really.

• Members
While I will not knock the quality of an Anderson, I will call BS on the "more expensive engineering" comment.. It takes no more money and hardly any additional time on the CNC to cut a more intricate neck joint.. I'm sure it is better, but it isn't $2-3000 better..

Yet, today's Strats still cost right at $1000..

Those $1000 Strats are not Leo's, now are they? :)

If you want one just like a '56, it'll cost you much more.
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-56-Strat-Closet-Classic-Electric-Guitar?sku=510523

Archived