Quick question about shielding a pickguard with aluminum?

elsupermanny14

• Members

So I'm finishing up my pickguard as we speak! I just finished making my SSH pickguard into a single humbucker pickguard. Now I want to shield the pickguard with aluminum foil. I'm just going to use regular foil from home cuz I'm putting a humbucker in and am not all that worried about hum.

Do I need to remove the factory aluminum shield that goes over the pots or can I put the new foil over over the factory foil? Will this cause any problems? I also wanted to know if there is any difference i using aluminum to shield or copper tape? Finally, if I plan on shielding the pickup with copper tape, will it matter that I used aluminum on the pickguard?

Help! Thanks guys!

• Members

Nah, none of that's a problem. There will be a difference between using aluminum versus copper, though. Copper would be better if you can manage as it has a thermal conductivity rating of 380 versus aluminum's 200. In this case, the difference probably wouldn't be dramatic or anything, but hey, you asked!

• Members

Nah, none of that's a problem. There will be a difference between using aluminum versus copper, though. Copper would be better if you can manage as it has a thermal conductivity rating of 380 versus aluminum's 200. In this case, the difference probably wouldn't be dramatic or anything, but hey, you asked!

So would that create a negligible difference? And second, what does that mean? haha. Copper is better suited for shielding?

Archived