Coil tap vs. Series/Parallel

zoomzilla

• Members

I put a Duncan Custom Custom in the bridge of my PRS Santana SE with a three-way mini toggle for series/parallel/single switching. It's a great way to go and you get three distinct voices.

I've got a Duncan Jazz in the neck of a Les Paul with series/parallel. I like the parallel setting a lot and like others have said here, it's still a humbucker sound, but a little lighter. I use it in parallel most of the time.

I also have a dual humbucker Tele with DiMarzio's: Air Norton/neck & Tone Zone/bridge, both wired for coil split. I know a lot of humbuckers don't give a great single coil tone, but this one sounds really good with lots of chime and sparkle. However, I rarely use the bridge pickup in single coil mode because I like the warmth and fattness of it in humbucker mode.

Just beat me to it.

I did this with some GFS '59s in my switch guitar. TBH there's not *that much* difference between parallel and single in terms of tone - just a touch fuller in parallel. Personally I'd not bother again, but I'm glad I tried it. However if you have a humbucker that's wound with one coil significantly different than the other then I think the difference would be greater.

• Members

I just split a GFS Fat Mini in my tele neck to single coil and love the tone. I had it on humber but it was overpowering my bridge pup and that's not going anywhere.

In single coil it has pop and twang on it's own. Mid postion neck/bridge is where it really shines. Gives nice round lows and lets the highs ring over top clean and clear.

I may put a push/pull pot in at some point so I could have the humbuck if meeded.

• 5 months later...
  • Members

Take:

Epiphone goth les paul studio

Seymour duncan P-rails

Rockfield fat ass

Push-pull pots x4

Bigsby B-700 black chrome

roller bridge

Graphite nut

No matter what, it's under $600, and it'd fucking rock...

Somebody do this...

I'm halfway there. I was looking for a set of Pearly Gates, cause I don't really want that muddy metal sound all of the time. I got an old Pearly Gates (PGNJ) for the neck, but the difference between it and the stock was barely noticeable. I'm thinking I need the newer PG, and I think that would help the value (not that I'd ever sell it!;)) But everything I do to this beast has got to be low-budget. Any suggestions?

IMG_5243.jpg

• Members

I have coil splits on a few humbucker guitars.

My Epi LP has them and no, it doesn't sound like a Strat single coil but I really never liked a Strat bridge single coil. The split bridge humbucker in the Epi sounds better to me.

The pickup is medium output (Tonerider Generator).

Well, Tonerider says the pup is 16K but it has no more output than the 57 Classics in my Edwards.

Nevertheless, it sounds really nice split.

• Members

...one of my fave tones is a dual humbucker guitar with the pickup selector on for both pickups but both in coil split mode...it will also be 'humbucking' if you select the right coils to split on both humbuckers...

...this tone is similar to the in-between positions on a Strat but a bit thinner ie much less bass ...imo due to the distance between both coils which is prob larger than tht on a Strat (e.g. between neck and middle pickup say)

Archived