Why do I have a ASP.net "user" on my XP logon?

nat whilk II

• Members

.NET is an immense Gordian Knot of uncorrellated and incoherently written procedure calls, all of which are unreliable and unpredictable. I suggest you ignore this malicious microsoft SPAMware. Of course, I am a bit biased, since I've been fighting with it for roughly a week trying to get some of this code running on a lab PC at work.

ASP, on the other hand, I have no familiarity with. If it's also something from Microsoft, reference the paragraph above for the likely outcome.

If you'd like to escape this mess, simply uninstall the all the .NET stuff using Add/Remove Programs.

• Members

"....Why and how has it made itself into a User on my single-user XP PC?....."

This page explains it....

As you can see , it was written in 2004 so the

ASP.net user account has been around for a while.

In terms of security and/or use of system resources,

I've never heard anything bad about it in that time.

• Members

"....If you'd like to escape this mess, simply uninstall the all the .NET stuff using Add/Remove Programs...."

Programs like Sound Forge (as just 1 example) require .NET to run...

Better to just disable the ASP.net service itself, if it bothers you that much.

• Members

.NET is an immense Gordian Knot of uncorrellated and incoherently written procedure calls, all of which are unreliable and unpredictable. I suggest you ignore this malicious microsoft SPAMware. Of course, I am a bit biased, since I've been fighting with it for roughly a week trying to get some of this code running on a lab PC at work.

ASP, on the other hand, I have no familiarity with. If it's also something from Microsoft, reference the paragraph above for the likely outcome.

If you'd like to escape this mess, simply uninstall the all the .NET stuff using Add/Remove Programs.

I've been that frustrated before with MS dev tools. There are billions of bytes of information on them -- but it always seems like you're missing one item. That said, I've had pretty good luck with all the .Net stuff in recent years. The last few sets of dev tools I've installed from them (mostly the free Express Edition stuff) have all been pretty slick. But I haven't adopted all of the latest set.

As already shown by link, ASP.NET is a marriage of MS's Actve Server Pages ASP technology with their .NET framework, which allows quick dev of rich interaction interfaces for web pages. (ASP is a scripting protocol, not a language; ASP code can be written in javascript, VisualBasic, or C#.) Code runs on the server, accessing databases or other server-side info or performing computations or other procedures and then uses the web page to display the info and interact with the user. (This type of general form of interaction has, in recent years, been lumped under the term, Ajax. Ajax is centered on but not restricted to the asynchronous use of javascript and XML. Hence the name, I guess.) But that's all web dev stuff.

This thread teases at an explanation for an error message that always pops when I open up my vid editor, Sony's Vegas. (Great little editor, IMHO, BTW, for hte money. I paid less than $70 for the 'platinum' edition and I couldn't be happier.) All the .NET stuff seems to load/run fine; the editor works great. But every time I load it I get a message that it "failed to register with windows terminal services" ["windows" with no capitalization, no less.]

• Members

So I guess the deal is, if I load a program that requires .NET framework in order to run (which I vaguely remember one of my programs does), then, in typical MS fashion, installing the .NET framework includes installing, without prompts or messages or even a polite "look out here it comes", a new "user" on my computer.

I understand - if I want to develop webpages using ASP.net, well I'm good to go I suppose.

...It's like getting something a little "extra" in the soup you ordered - and you can't recognize what it is.

But of course, it's just more MS clutter, business as usual.

nat whilk ii

• Members

Maybe you have disabled the "Terminal Services" service?

The thought had crossed my mind. :D

Of course, that is the case. I actually keep a short cut to the services interface on my desktop. And I meant to check -- but I had absent-mindedly thought terminal services was turned on (I suspect I was half-thinking about the command line interface, which, of course, is a whole different ball of legacy).

Archived