Processor schedudling (XP) question

Phait

• Members

In Sys Props, for Performance Options/Advanced under "Processor Scheduling" you have a choice between Programs and Background Services.

The default is programs. I've been reading XP tweak guides for music production that say you should switch it to Background Services.

Now, this isn't a dedicated music setup (yet) -- I still play games and edit video. Should I then avoid changing the PS from Programs?

"This is an essential tweak for musicians, but not for the general Windows user. As most musicians will be using ASIO, it is vital to prioritise this in your system."

But I'm not using ASIO (yet)...

• CMS Author

In Sys Props, for Performance Options/Advanced under "Processor Scheduling" you have a choice between Programs and Background Services.

Now, this isn't a dedicated music setup (yet) -- I still play games and edit video. Should I then avoid changing the PS from Programs?

You probably won't notice a difference. The reason why the recommend setting for audio applications is with priority to background services is because Windows treats audio as a background service. You won't break anything by trying though

Archived