SanDisk, Record Companies Plan New Music Format "slotMusic"

Music Calgary

• Members

I still say my gas station idea, combined with rock bottom pricing would easily return viability to the CD format. It's in a thread around here somewhere for the uninitiated. Try a search, what ever term you use from beansaws to quicksand should work...these search engines follow no rules.

Why don't you bump it? ;)

• Members

Convenience Store Industry Sales Top $569 Billion
, NACS Reports -
Convenience store industry sales surged 15.0 percent to reach $569.4 billion in 2006, continuing a four-year run of extraordinary growth, with industry sales almost double the 2002 total of $290.6 billion, according to data released this morning by NACS
, the association for convenience and petroleum retailing. Source: NACS Online April 2007

060710_clerks_hmed5p.hmedium.jpg

Use the same pricing structure in Wal-Mart, etc (what's left of music retail) and force them to lose this "edited" titles thing, which makes no sense in light of the games and movies they carry? :confused:

The new economy is volume sales, not maximum profit per sale. More volume equals more profit in most popular examples.

Plus, this takes CDs down to a disposable level. People buy them, use them up and buy more! Classic CDs are going to be selling like hotcakes at two bucks a pop.

Above design, variations on such, are property of me...since I know my IP is at stake here. :p

:blah::wave:

• Members

First thing I would do as CEO of ACME Record Company is lobby to tax ISP, but not a tax-it's actually a fee that the ISP collects and forwards to the applicable agencies for royalty distribution. I posted the numbers a while back and my figures indicated a very small fee, considering the access to available media it provides. How about $3 bucks a month?

32.5 million broadband users in U.S. x $3 x 12 months = $1,170,000,000 a year

This doesn't cover the complete cost of piracy, obviously. But, it does do something. Which Craig has noted seems to be a non-issue. That combined with other solutions, which must be something...12.5 billion is a freaking huge number! How did that ascertain that number?

One credible analysis by the Institute for Policy Innovation concludes that global music piracy causes $12.5 billion of economic losses every year, 71,060 U.S. jobs lost, a loss of $2.7 billion in workers' earnings, and a loss of $422 million in tax revenues, $291 million in personal income tax and $131 million in lost corporate income and production taxes. For copies of the report, please visit
www.ipi.org

http://www.riaa.com/physicalpiracy.php

• Members

I'd pay it just so I could listen to cool obscure vinyl on YouTube. I do now, but of course admit that I'm listening to music that the artist isn't getting compensated for. So, how can I protest the fee when I get free content? It wouldn't be hard to determine the royalty payouts, just look at the isp logs.

Archived