A good 10 inch Speaker

burton4snow

• Members

The Weber 10" Signature Alnico is a great speaker for little money, if you're looking to go cheap. The power rating is only 15 watts so that should be fine for the KillerAnt and Valve Jr. I don't know what the RockBlock is so I don't know how it would be with that.

If you need a little higher power rating, the Weber Signature ceramic is good as well and has a rating of 25 watts, IIRC.

I also had one of the Weber Chicago Series Alnicos and that was a really great speaker, though it's a bit more expensive.

• Members

On a budget: Jensen MOD 10" 35 watt...about $40

Not on a budget: Weber vintage or Chicago vintage series 10"... many tonal flavor options; early or later breakup, with or without dope (glue treatment to speaker surround), alnico or ceramic magnet.

I would imagine if you're not too concerned with sparkling cleans and want "early breakup" in a speaker, try their 10 watt Chicago 10" (model CVA10). Described as being designed for tweed amps, could be a good match for a head that's only putting out 5 watts. Also, not sure what would work best? Weber will help you pick.

While most of Weber's 10's and 12's are in the $80-$100, range, the CVA10 described above is $65. Overall, Weber's prices are competitive with the big dawgs like Celestion and Eminece.

BTW; just so I don't appear to be one sided, I've seen several very positive reviews for the Rajun Cajun and no bad un's. It's also a reasonably priced speaker at around $65.

• Members

BTW; just so I don't appear to be one sided, I've seen several very positive reviews for the
Rajun Cajun
and no bad un's. It's also a reasonably priced speaker at around $65.

I'm far from a speaker expert, but based on a lot of positive reviews I did just buy a Ragin Cajun for my fender Super Champ XD, and it was a nice improvement for, as you state, a very reasonable price. I got mine from Zzounds or SameDay (can't remember which since they're the same) but yeah - $65 to my door.

It's sounds warmer, deeper and less fizzy solid state sounding than the stock Fender speaker. It still has its break in period ahead of itself. The magnet is huge compared to the Fender stock speaker.

I haven't tried the 10", but I have tried the Weber Chicago 12 and it is a very nice sounding speaker as well. Nice and warm. I replaced a Celestion in a Marshall VS80 and the Weber was an easy improvement to add depth and warmth for a very reasonable price.

But I'm afraid those 2 speaker mods are all I've done so far. Usually I just live with the stock speakers.

But if someone has a great idea (based on experience) for replacements for my Roland JC120, I'm all ears. ;)

• Members

For the op. I have a behringer 210 that came stock with the Jensen MOD 10s. Those are not what I think you are looking for. A bit tinny with a sharp high mid spike. They do clean/glassy OK but still lack body.

For the JC 120: I've heard them with EVM12s in them and it was godly. So much clean headroom with that and those are particularly efficient speakers that handle 200W. Fairly flat accurate response lets you hear your amp loudly without coloring it too much. I've hear JBLs work nice too. Gauss if you can find them. I played a 2x15 with those monsters under a Peavey deuce 120w for a while. Cleans with high efficiency, high power speaks is cool.:thu:

Archived