Stiff strat bridge - suggestions please

Vince

• Members

I've just finished putting together a strat with one of these bridges:

http://www.jhs.co.uk/wilkinson.html#vibratos - the one on the top right, looks like this:

WV2.jpg

and even with 3 springs fitted it's really quite stiff. It doesn't rest on the body so surely it should be easy to move, or am I missing something here?

Has anyone got any suggestions on how to make it smoother and easier to move?

• Members

Don't want to dwell on the obvious, but did you try adjusting the claw?

If you're using heavy gauge strings, you may have to go to four springs.

Only using 10-46 so I doubt 4 springs would work. If anything, surely that would make it stiffer? And yes, I've tried adjusting the claw, but to no avail:confused:

• Members

The springs counterbalance the string tension, with the trem pivoting between them. Increasing the spring tension by tightening the claw screws or adding springs makes the trem easier to move, not harder.

I've noticed the exact opposite...adding more springs in my guitars makes the trem harder to move.

You can always try 2 springs and tighten down the claw some more. I like to have my springs opened up a little, they seem to have a smoother trem action.

Have you played with the pivot points yet? Does the trem move freely on them, or does it bind up?

• Members

more springs = more tension = stiffer bridge.

less springs = less tension = softer bridge

If 2 will let you get the float you want, use 2. If they won't, then buy heavier springs and use 2.. The whole point is that you aren't going to get a softer trem until you lose a spring.

• Members

The springs counterbalance the string tension, with the trem pivoting between them. Increasing the spring tension by tightening the claw screws or adding springs makes the trem easier to move, not harder.

This is definitely not my experience on any trem I ever set up. It's wrong actually.

Ian is this you???

• Members

I haven't dive bombed since '87. I have 40 plus guitars with all different types of trems. My Floyds are set to float. On all the guitars I have my experience has been that the tighter the claw the harder the it is to use the bar. The more springs you use the harder it is to use the bar. I use the bar constantly by the way.

You are right in that it is a balance. The more tension you have at the claw by either tighten it or with springs, the more force you are going to have to use to move that tension. Thus less tension = an easier bar. It's simple physics.

• Members

try adjusting the mounting screws so that they are out farther and try using only 2 springs. I had an Ibanez with a vintage style trem like those on strats and I did the same thing in order to allow me to do give it a double locking trem feel. thats what you mean right? you want to go up and down with it?

• Members

WHAT????? Oldfinger, go get checked for late stage alzheimers disease please. OK, if your trem is floating and the strings are so damn stiff that they won't move (you'd have to be using stiffer strings than I have ever seen on the market!) you'd be right.

However EVERY case of stiff trem I have ever seen is a case where the bridge is slammed tight to the body and it is the springs holding it there, so the tension on the springs has to be LESS.

Go to the fender site. Look in support. They have a great guide on trem setup. I don't know quite how that wilki works, but on my vintage trems, the 6 screws that hold the trem to the body are always WAY too tight causing the trem to not move well. Your wilki obviously is a two point, so I don't know if that aspect is adjustable. Loosen your claw. Make the 3 springs go in a straight line instead of converging. Make the bass side spring looser than the treb side.

Good luck

• Members

Wow, thanks for all the responses guys!

I agree that more springs = more tension so I ain't gonna put 4 on there!

I have the bridge raised off the surface of the guitar so it is free to move and yes, I want it to go up as well as down.

I've tried it with only 2 springs, and it didn't make as much difference as I thought which led me to believe it was something else (but I couldn't figure out what that something was!) but I'll give it another go with only 2 springs and see what happens.

• Members

OK, if the bridge is raised up off the surface of the body and two springs didn't really change things, then your problem is its binding somewhere. Nothing else could be true. check to make sure it moves freely on the pivots. Make sure the block isn't binding against the pocket. Something has to be wrong here.

• Members

I spent a bit more time fiddling with 2 springs, and it was heading in the right direction although the claw had to be screwed in really close to the back wall of the cavity to get the back of the bridge down.

I also had a closer look at the bridge (took it off) and saw that the actual bridge plate was heavily worn at the contact points with the screws. I could understand this on a 10 year old bridge, but not a 1 week old!

Either I did something drastically wrong when I was installing it, I got a bad one, or it's just soft metal. Regardless, I took it back to the shop where I bought it from and they're getting me another one.

The moral of this story is to approach these bridges with caution. I'm going to give the new one a close look over and if it goes within a couple of months I'll have to look at alternatives.

Archived