Need help to identify this presumably MIJ Strat

woodsmandan

• Members

Local pawn shop has this Fender Stratocaster...I think I could grab it under 400$...

Seller says it's a mid eighties MIJ, but some features make me doudt, and I'm no expert...

Here are some features:

- Hardtail, strings thru (like a Tele)

- V neck, maple, with skunk stripe

- Small headstock, "with syncronized tremolo" (which I find suspicious since it's a hartail)

- No serial number or "made in..." on or under the headstock, but a sanded bit on the back of the neck, just before the body joins.(as if the pre owner erased the serial number)

- String saddles NOT stamped Fender

- Staggered poles pickups

- 1 ply pickguard, very thin, 8 screws

-Black body, looks like poly finish

Neck feels very good, guitar plays and sounds good...but how can I be certain that it's a real 80's MIJ ?

• Members

Hard to say without pics. Actually, almost impossible to say without pics.

I had one MIJ that had a bridge exactly like a Fender... full size block, full width saddles and the saddles were stamped Fender. The one I have now has the full size block, narrower saddle spacing and solid saddles, but they aren't the folded Fender saddles. They are bulky steel saddles.

Does it not say Japan anywhere on it? Most 80s MIJs had the normal 4 bolt neck joint while some of them had the 3 bolt micro. These will almost always have the large style headstock though. I don't think I've ever seen a Korean Fender with the 3 bolt. And I think every 80s MIJ I've played had a glossy neck rather than a satin neck.

If it's all original, it should say Made In Japan either on the headstock or on the neck plate.

But if you like it and it feels great, who cares where it was made? It would effect the price, but regardless of where it was made, if it doesn't say Made In Japan somewhere on it, it's not all original and probably not worth $400.

• Members

From internet research, it looks like a '54 or '57 MIJ reissue, but I'm not sure they made hardtail versions.

And where on a 50's reissue MIJ strat would the serial and "made in japan" appear ? Because something was purposedly sanded off on the back side of the neck, near the body.

200$ seems a good, I'll try offering that.

• Members

From internet research, it looks like a '54 or '57 MIJ reissue, but I'm not sure they made hardtail versions.

And where on a 50's reissue MIJ strat would the serial and "made in japan" appear ? Because something was purposedly sanded off on the back side of the neck, near the body.

Should say on the front of the headstock, the rear of the headstock or on the neck plate. If it doesn't then yeah... I doubt I'd give more than $200 for it and I certainly wouldn't expect to be able to sell it for a profit.

• Members

My MIJ has a "Made in Japan" in black lettering and the serial number on the back of the neck near the heel.

If it is a '57 reissue, the trussrod adjustment will be at the heel (with a walnut plug at the headstock), and there might be a three-way switch. It sounds like it has the right pickguard.

Many have been sanded off (both intentional and not). I "rebodied" mine in favor of a nitro-lacquered yellow hardtail... I'm just not a trem guy.

Here's mine so you can see the neck:

57Strat050Medium.jpg

• Members

Actually...Japanese Fenders are the only ones I'm aware of that ever had country and serial number on the neck heal right above the body....I don't know when they started doing it that way though..

300px-Craftedinjapan.JPG

There ! Exactly where it's been sanded...so the strat is probably a MIJ, and for whatever reason, someone decided to erase the serial number/country of fabrication. Thanks for the pic Lowbrow !

• Members

My MIJ has a "Made in Japan" in black lettering and the serial number on the back of the neck near the heel.

If it is a '57 reissue, the trussrod adjustment will be at the heel (with a walnut plug at the headstock), and there might be a three-way switch. It sounds like it has the right pickguard.

Many have been sanded off (both intentional and not). I "rebodied" mine in favor of a nitro-lacquered yellow hardtail... I'm just not a trem guy.

Here's mine so you can see the neck:

57Strat050Medium.jpg

The guitar looks exactly like that one, except black. Thanks solder ! I'll try to go to the shop tonite and maybe take some pics. And make a low offer !

• Members

Hate to say this, but usually when the serial had been obliterated like that, it's because the guitar was stolen.

Yeah, but I think there is/was a fair bit of anti Japanese sentiment as well. My lovely 83 Ibanez had the entire headstock sanded off. Only think I can imagine is someone didn't want people to know he was playing a Japanese guitar. Serial number is still intact though...

:idk:

Archived