Alvarez 5220 vs Yamaha FG700s

runningupthathill

• Members

Hey y'all

I'm looking to get back into playing guitar. I'm pretty ok picking up a somewhat low end beginner model, but would like to chose the best option in my budget. I live in a fairly small town so my options are limited, but I've been browsing craigslist and am thinking about an Alvarez 5220 or a Yamaha FG700s. They are both priced at about $150 and both appear to be in good condition.

I've watched a few videos on both and they seem to both have a fairly good reputation as cheap acoustics. Could anyone give me any input about either of these guitars? Or any help deciding between the two?

I also wouldn't mind some tips on any other guitars to keep my eye out for that will be in a similar price range. Thanks in advance!

• Members

I can't speak for the Alvarez5220, cause I've never played one. I can speak for the Yamaha FG700S. I own one.

The Yamaha has a solid spruce top, which is noticeable in the tone it produces. IDK whether the Alvarez does or not. (I suspect not.)

The Yamaha cost just under $200 new. IDK what the Alvarez cost. (I suspect about the same.) They are both discontinued models. $150 is a reasonable price for one if it's in decent shape.

I'll be a little presumptuous and say that Yamaha guitars are pretty well highly thought of around here.

I am very pleased with my Yammie. IMHO, you won't go wrong with that model.

• Members

First, Welcome to the Forum. Second, I've owned four Alvarez guitars since the 70's, most of them decent instruments. My current "beater" is an Alvarez and I also own an Alvarez bass. But Alvarez quit using four digit model numbers years ago, which means the 5220 is fairly old. A quick internet search puts it in the early to mid 90's, which makes it about 25 years old. Guitars that old can start to develop issues and unless I were absolutely sure of its condition I'd avoid it. The Yamaha is still in production and the others have already sung its praises so I won't add anything else. If you can't snag the FG700S, let us know what else is available or let us know where you are so we can point you in the right direction. Best of luck.

Archived