PartsPaul project back from the dead!

6down1togo

• Members

I started a semi-hollowbody guitar project wayyyyyyy back and lost interest in it only to restart it recently. I purchase a sad little tigerwood top/padauk back body off ebay that a luthier started and abandoned. I had a neck built for it and started finishing it by routed the corners of the body and reshaping the neck heel. I proceeded to slather it with Minwax stain in an attempt to get the top and back to color match better. At that point I just wasn't happy with the result and set it aside.

The other night, I decided to strip the finish back and start over with the raw wood and Danish Oil . I reworked the neck heel with a bit of thumb contour and really liked the result. I should be putting on the finishing touched soon. Jury is still out on pickguard or sans pickguard.

Ugly duckling body with interesting back:

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"FEMHKK.jpg","data-attachmentid":32386683}[/ATTACH][ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"T1W65R.jpg","data-attachmentid":32386684}[/ATTACH]

Mounted neck, body contour routed:

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"6Tv6ud.jpg","data-attachmentid":32386685}[/ATTACH][ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"0sHgg7.jpg","data-attachmentid":32386686}[/ATTACH]

Continued in next post:

• Members

Slathered on Minwax stain and satin lacquer with all the wood figure hidden:

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"rXNZbP.jpg","data-attachmentid":32386701}[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"BFo8t4.jpg","data-attachmentid":32386702}[/ATTACH]

Stripped and Danish oil finish. Now I get the tigerwood part:

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"gnQIsd.jpg","data-attachmentid":32386703}[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"zUhEcW.jpg","data-attachmentid":32386704}[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"LTWVgt.jpg","data-attachmentid":32386705}[/ATTACH]

I read that the sanding dust from Padauk is very irritating. Since I was hand sanding, I disregarded the warning. Holy crap, instant sinusitis and sinus headaches from hell. Hard-headed.

Archived