Fender Duo Sonic Wiring... Parallel VS Series???

won730

• Members

Hi, I have Squier CV Duo Sonic and new set of pickups from Pickup Wizard. I am trying to mimic the vintage Fender Duo Sonic 1956-59 era wiring... Does anybody know in detail about the wiring? Any diagram that I can use? I wonder if the middle position was in series or parallel...

Also, is it possible to mod the Duo Sonic with 4-way-switch? so that I can have both parallel and series?

• Members

The first diagram is the one I got for 3-way with "series" in the middle position,

and the second one is Mustang 4-way mod diagram.

Will the first one provide me with series?

Will the second one work for Duo Sonic also? to have 4-way? What kind of switch do I need?

7fb4ad359bd8424d6c4f61bfd23b0e45.jpg.939daa0f9055250494df45f9ec2307f8.jpg

ddd67de070fb077dad6ff82dea4c4db1.jpg.58708a52da6c2145d0486f32b9f12fa6.jpg

• Members
The first diagram is the one I got for 3-way with "series" in the middle position,

and the second one is Mustang 4-way mod diagram.

Will the first one provide me with series?

Will the second one work for Duo Sonic also? to have 4-way? What kind of switch do I need?

Your first diagram is a standard three position toggle with series center. The second is a way you can do it with two slide switches (but of course you would need to modify your p/g to mount them). However if you read the link that I gave you it not only shows a switch that will work (but you might have to also modify the p/g to mount it) AND the way to wire it for series and parallel positions. I use it in every tele-clone that I build, some people like it, some don't need it but it doesn't cost any extra. RTFM

http://www.stewmac.com/How-To/Online_Resources/Learn_About_Guitar_Pickups_and_Electronics_and_Wiring/Oak_Grigsby_4-way_2-pole_Lever_Switch_Instructions.html

Slide switches (or a super switch) give you lots of options - here is a Jagstang with a single coil and a 'bucker - series, parallel and tapped coils. I charged the guy extra to figure out the wiring diagram that he wanted.

IMG_3801_zpstc2zeuik.jpg

Archived