New Amp Help - To Doom or not to Doom

lordfantas

• Members

Hello Harmony Central forums. I've been lurking for a little while, but decided to make an account and try to get some advice. So, after having an old Randall RG100SC 2x12 solid state combo for years and never really being that into it, I've decided I'd really like to try to find a new amp that is hopefully better than what I've got. I've done a fair amount of research, and I'm just starting to get out and try some amps out, but I'm having a hard time deciding on/finding what I think I want.

The Randall has several good features, and several things that I don't like.

The good:

• 2-channel, with different gain options, 3 band EQ on each channel (I'm surprised how many amps don't offer this), so you can get a lot of tones out of it
  • Built in reverb (and chorus, though I never use it)
  • It can get loud
  • Lots of gain on tap

The bad:

• No low gain options. The clean is squeaky clean unless you completely dime the level, and then it's just too loud for anything but a large venue, while the lowest gain settings on the dirty channel is already fairly high gain
  • Gain channels are tough to get a good sound out of, though they do exist
  • Doesn't play super well with fuzz pedals (which I really enjoy)
  • Did I mention its super loud? It's too damn loud. To play at home without shaking things and scaring the cats I have to keep the master volume below 1 (!), with very little wiggle room

A little about me - I live in the US, I play a '02 Gibson SG, and I play a lot of heavy music. The quietest stuff I play would be Zepplin, Sabbath, White Stripes, Black Keys type stuff, and recently I've been getting into playing more metal, ranging classic thrash (Metallica, Slayer), doom (Windhand, Yob, Sleep), to death metal such as Entombed or Dismember (I have a HM2 clone, fun stuff). My favorite band is Queens of the Stone Age, so naturally I'm tuned down to C. When I'm just noodling about I like to play with my fuzz, a Black Arts Toneworks Pharaoh, and my amp can be pretty finicky with it. I'm not in a band, and so I'm mostly playing at home at moderate volumes, though I crank it up when I have the house to myself.

A few weeks ago, I didn't know anything about tube amps other than that they are expensive. Now I've done a fair amount of research, specifically around the bands I really enjoy the most. The majority seem to play vintage Brittish amps (Matamp, Orange, Marshall), and while budget isn't necessarily a concern since you can find decent deals on one used, a lot of these bands get the tone they use by running these relatively low gain (by modern standards) amps at stupid loud volumes to get the saturation and distortion their famous for. I cannot do that, my wife won't let me! So, I'm looking for something that can get me close and can sound good at lower volumes. From a tone perspective, I think my major priority would be something that can take my fuzz and sound great, with a secondary priority of having enough preamp gain to get me to metal territory. Ideally I'd like to go with a head & cabinet configuration. Once I have a decent cab, I can always get a different head (or another one), which seems like a reasonable way to go. Currently, I'm leaning toward Orange, as they seem to have a nice line of lower wattage amps that might suite my needs (OR15, Dark Terror), and their latest big amps have that snazzy attenuation knob that would seem to make their 50/100 watt amps more manageable for home use (Rockerverb, Dual Dark). I don't know if I'm overlooking any other suitable options, and would like feedback! Obviously, I need to try out more gear, too, but it's all a part of the process.

• Members

Ever thought about a Quilter?

[video=youtube;3TX5Lvn30-E]

Or a Mesa Rectifier 25?

[video=youtube;64bm95S0FpY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64bm95S0FpY

Or the Yamaha. I have Classic which is way lower gain. Works well, plus headphone out if you need it.

[video=youtube;zV6Bfb_ZtNM]

People use different amps in concert than they might in the home or the studio. Like they say different tools for different jobs.

• Members
If you're just going to be playing at home I'd recommend something like a 1 Watt or so amp. You don't need a lot of Wattage for a tube amp to get fairly loud. The Blackstar HT-1RH and Marshall DSL1HR are both 1 Watt tube heads that might work for you for $300 or less new.

Not sure I'm interested in 1 watt amps, but I will check those out for sure!

Ever thought about a Quilter?

[video=youtube;3TX5Lvn30-E]

Or a Mesa Rectifier 25?

[video=youtube;64bm95S0FpY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64bm95S0FpY

Or the Yamaha. I have Classic which is way lower gain. Works well, plus headphone out if you need it.

[video=youtube;zV6Bfb_ZtNM]

Never heard of quilter, I'll look into that and the Mesa, thanks!

People use different amps in concert than they might in the home or the studio. Like they say different tools for different jobs.

Too true, and I'm definitely trying to keep that in mind.

• Members

Not sure I'm interested in 1 watt amps, but I will check those out for sure!

Never heard of quilter, I'll look into that and the Mesa, thanks!

Too true, and I'm definitely trying to keep that in mind.

Quilter makes some really nice solid state amps. They also make some rather nice PA gear. QSC.

https://www.qsc.com/

https://www.quilterlabs.com/

• Members
Not sure I'm interested in 1 watt amps' date=' but I will check those out for sure! . . .[/quote']

The average person has no idea how loud 1 Watt is. As an example, a 12" Celestion Blue speaker will produce 100 dB at a distance of 1 meter with 1 Watt of input. That's as loud as a lawn mower, motorcycle, farm tractor, jackhammer, or garbage truck (https://www.chem.purdue.edu/chemsafe...n/dblevels.htm). If you want more than 1 Watt without spending a fortune, look at the Jet City Custom 5. Switchable from 2 to 5 Watts for $250. Used amps are a possibility too.

• Members

If you got a big boys budget, you love this. I'm not a metal player, but I found a heavier sound on youtube.

0-16watts.

[video=youtube;MWzx-weAkws]

I have been looking at them for years along with the Swarts

[video=youtube;k-9LZkb1Rms]

Archived