Why did you start singing?

ido1957

• Members

I suppose I started singing because playing the G, A and D chords on the guitar as per instructions from my peers when they taught me 'Tambourine man' felt a bit empty without accompanying singing.

I continue because the prospect of being able to create beautiful sounds without equipment fascinates and moves me.

• Members

I was asked to join a band, and finally my guitar practice had paid off. Problem was someone had heard me singing, and that's why I was hired. They already had a solo guitarist. But when I discovered that the girls liked singers it didn't really matter... :)

• Members

Somebody once told me "Guitar players are a dime a dozen - if you want to always be in demand learn how to sing". So I did and never had a problem getting into a band.

Plus bands were a good way to get chicks!
:D
:D:D:D

That's actually what got me going with it way back. I think my uncle was the one who gave me that advice. Unfortunately it kind of backfired in my case...I offered to sing in a couple of bands I tried out for and they didn't want me to...which led me not to want to be in their bands. But thankfully I've gotten better since then.

• Members

Showing up for band practice:

Me: Hey guys... um, where's Rob (singer).

Bandmate: We told him practice was canceled.

Me: Why'd you do that?

Bandmate: We decided that you're a better singer than he is, so you're our new singer.

Me: Well, if thats how you feel, ok.

My brother didn't speak to me for a month. :(

• Members

Started singing because I liked to sing. Kept singing because I figured out I had what it takes to keep improving (i.e. pitch and a voice).

I still like to sing. :)

Edit: I forgot that I was in a band (see below) as a guitarist and when the original singer left, I had to step in and didn't look back. Until now that is .....

• Members

I always sang to music I listened to, and I wanted to be able to do it without embarrassing myself, so I started taking private vocal lessons. Best money I ever spent! I'm serious - people who have not had private vocal lessons just don't understand what they are missing. Whether they think it is a waste of money, or not - I don't know, but for me, it has been worth every dime I have spent, and I'll tell you what - I wish I had started when I was around 17 or 18, rather than waiting until later in life.

• Members

My mum gave me piano lessons when I was about 8 years old and my piano teacher always used to sing with the chords as I played... she was so amazing! I was too embarrassed to sing in front of her as she was so good, so I used to wait until I was practicing on my own and let rip! Haven't stopped since!!

Archived