Help me choose a new DMX control unit

newmaxnew

• Members

I have pretty much maxed out my old elation DMX controller and want something new.

What I have right now for lights are 4 colorstrips and 4 LED 56 lights. I will be adding more to the system this year.

I need enough channels to leave room for expansion as I add more fixtures. I would like to be able to change scenes using a Behringer midi pedal.

I can go with either hardware or software since I have a spare laptop that I can use for a software controller.

What do you guys recommend ?

Max

• Members

+1 Freestyler

I use the Enttec USB Pro with mine. Much more powerful than a console.

Usually, the lights don't go out... the lights have only gone screwy a few times with our setup enough that we've had to reboot the pc. The lights stay on the last setting while we reboot.

• Members

+1 for the DMX pro. I am using the Enntec open right now,cause i didnt know enough about it when I started with it. I do not regret that choice at all.

I have an old pentium4 laptop that i use with it, and it works Great!

The advantages of the usb/dmx pro is that it refreshes faster and better than the open which depends souly on the usb port to oprerate.The pro has on board chip that does it.Thats the way I understand it.

BUT for approx 60.00 and an old laptop Ive' got a great lighting control setup, that as i said before. I set it up to change every 16 beats of the kick,run from the gated side of our kick to my sound card. BANG!! No more switching with my feet.

But if you want to do that a Behringer FCB 1010 wilol work. The program is midi compatible.

• Members

I can set it up in my rec room and play with it. Thats how I learned how to use my old hardware box.

It will be nice to have more than 16 DMX channels to use! I will be able to set up each device with it's own address or at least set them up in pairs.

Max

Archived