OT: One well aged tool

• Members

So I was at a graduation party past Sunday and came into urgent need of a certain kitchen tool and was directed to this well aged antique. I swear I've seen something similar before but I just couldn't place it -- so I took a pic. Anyone recognize it or ascertain its function?

fetch?id=31178655&type=thumb

1f602eeb99054c6046b99c51c4d65b81.JPG.a856633c6bdcb54e2c2f6d5aa0337481.JPG

• Members

Durn is this forum hobbled from iPad! I had written: "If I had found it in an antique/junk store it would have been on its way to Davis by now but it was a family heirloom. Here's a pic as a hint to its use." But RoadRanger is correct, the forum software wasn't allow posting pic from iPad and nuked my text as well. Grrr...

• Members

Wow! Apologies to all for being so obtuse. My post #4 was supposed to have an answer pic and then posts #9 and #10 from my MacBook were double posts with answer pics -- which were visible from my MacBook last night but only one of which was still visible from my iPad 20 minutes ago when I left the house and now from my PC at work I see none but the first pic appear. Sigh.. Patience db... Deep breaths... OK, one last time from my PC...

Yes, it is indeed a bottle opener:

fetch?filedataid=101425&type=thumb

fetch?filedataid=101428&type=thumb

Dang, I hope this worked..

• CMS Author
Bottle opener sounds right. Great guessing game here. I was going to guess an upside down spoon cradle but it's not flat on that side.

Yeah, a spoon rest was what first came to mind, but then I reasoned that Dave had asked for the item, and Dave being a guy would probably not ask for a spoon rest....he's probably like me and most guys..."What's the point of putting your spoon down on a spoon rest? Cleaning a spoon rest is no less work than cleaning the counter if you simply put the spoon there." smiley-happy

• Members

You certainly reasoned right in my case Craig. Matter of fact I'm so far down the Neanderthal spectrum my first reaction when confronted with the non-twist-off beer-bottle cap was to use my teeth -- until I remembered how much $$ I have invested there. A spoon rest is way beyond my sophistication !

• Members
Has anyone actually come up with the answer? And yes, it would be great for Andy. I'd like to know if it isn't a bottle opener, what it is. A video of it in use would be nice.

My hunch is that it's a vintage "church key" (bottle opener). I suspect the pry lip is on the faced-down side.

EDIT: Oops... didn't see page two before offering my hunch... where Craig made the ID.

But... in somewhat thinking about it, I suspect some possibly repressed memory likely from Andy's childhood (?) was a sort of inspiration for his avatar... the similarity is seemingly too uncanny to be pure coincidence.

Also it seems like "in the past"... manufactures and consumers "had more fun" with otherwise utilitarian devices. I dunno... maybe "that" is still out there, but not common in my daily travels (which isn't very far from the dinner table anymore). Or maybe time has been a classifier where "the good stuff" is what survives... like "around here" most of the older houses are "pretty well built" with a lot of higher level craftsmanship attention to detail. I suspect the surviving older houses aren't indicative of "average" back when they were built... and that there were some absolute crackerboxes for houses at one time... but most of the crackerbox houses went away... leaving mostly the better ones as the surviving examples.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members
"What's the point of putting your spoon down on a spoon rest? Cleaning a spoon rest is no less work than cleaning the counter if you simply put the spoon there." smiley-happy

A spoon rest is a lot less work. You can't put the counter top in the dishwasher.

Archived