is it possible to get a decent synth...

mister kyo

• Members

for under $100?

keep in mind i have no desire for memory, sequencing, a bunch of different voices, any of that....i just want something that will give a good lead synth sound and has more than 24 keys. is there such a thing?

for an idea of what kind of sound i mean, listen to the beginning of 'the black hole' by horse the band. of course i dont expect it to be that quality, nor do i need it to sound the same as that, i just mean in that general range...

• Members

Get a crappy keyboard the most useless and add a behringer distortion pedal and a behringer wha wha. The two pedals should be both less than 70$ new.....

You'll have a sound source with some variety (kbd), a shaper(dist) and a bandpass filter(wha wha), that's synthesis already, maybe better than you could imagine...

• Members

Well, yes it is possible.

If you haunt eBay and other places and are patient you can get used synths for $100 or less. Look for 80s/90s digital synths which aren't in much demand.

If you could afford $200 it would be even easier to find something.

Roland:

Alpha Juno 1/2

D5/10/20

Korg:

Poly 800

DS-8

Kawai:

K1

Yamaha:

DX9, DX21, DX27

SY22

Casio:

CZ-1/101/1000/3000/5000

Ensoniq:

SQ-1, SQ-2

• Members

Originally posted by Jez

No it bloody well isn't
:)
Unless you're extremely lucky at a garage sale or "find it in a dumpster"...

Are you a guitarist by trade, by any chance?

Hang on a minute - I got one off you for nowt! :D

Admittedly I had to get a new display and keys for it...

• Members

thanks for the replies guys. yeah, i know i wont be getting pro, or even standard quality for $100...i just want a usable lead synth sound that wont hurt people's ears...

Originally posted by r33k

He's not looking for a
decent
synth, just one that he can use for buzzy lead sounds in a death metal band. Think ghetto. Something like
this
would totally do what he needs.

that looks pretty interesting :)

Originally posted by Meatball Fulton

Well, yes it is possible.

If you haunt eBay and other places and are patient you can get used synths for $100 or less. Look for 80s/90s digital synths which aren't in much demand.

If you could afford $200 it would be even easier to find something.

Roland:

Alpha Juno 1/2

D5/10/20

Korg:

Poly 800

DS-8

Kawai:

K1

Yamaha:

DX9, DX21, DX27

SY22

Casio:

CZ-1/101/1000/3000/5000

Ensoniq:

SQ-1, SQ-2

cool man, i'll look out for those :cool:

Originally posted by idiotboy

Here's one

i saw that one too, but i thought that was the kind of keyboard that just gives you a bunch of different sounds? you know, like trumpet, clarinet, string ensemble and stuff...do you know if it has the lead synth sound?

• Members

Originally posted by Mook

Hang on a minute - I got one off you for nowt!
:D

Admittedly I had to get a new display and keys for it...

Yes but not everyone is as nice a guy as I am ;) hehe... besides, I'd say it falls into the "found it in a dumpster" category considering the repair work needed.

• Members

I just bought a DW 8000 (Korg) for 139 including shipping off ebay. Of course, it needs some internal repairs to make it remember the sounds in it, it's name etc. Since I had one of these before, I loaded one of my old library tapes in it and it works. After being switched off, it forgets everything and I have to reload it to bring it back to life. I have sent offf for parts to fix this. Good luck in your search.

Guest Anonymous

Originally posted by Heartwaves

I just bought a DW 8000 (Korg) for 139 including shipping off ebay. Of course, it needs some internal repairs to make it remember the sounds in it, it's name etc. Since I had one of these before, I loaded one of my old library tapes in it and it works. After being switched off, it forgets everything and I have to reload it to bring it back to life. I have sent offf for parts to fix this. Good luck in your search.

I have a Korg also.

• Members

Originally posted by mister kyo

i saw that one too, but i thought that was the kind of keyboard that just gives you a bunch of different sounds? you know, like trumpet, clarinet, string ensemble and stuff...do you know if it has the lead synth sound?

There is no "the lead synth sound." At some point, the emulations of those instruments is so crappy that it is just a synthetic sound. Run it through a distorition pedal and some delay and I bet you find all kinds of odd sounds in that box-- just do anything that takes away from the "it is trying to sound like x" vibe."

Of course, by the time that your are looking for "the lead synth sound" you've already lost that path. So I suggest you look at something that is pricier and really -can- do "the lead synth sound."

• Members

Originally posted by -groovatious-

I got this puppy for $50 Australian:

mpre_text_144.jpg

Very tasty 100% analog leads and basses.

DAMN...that looks like it'd be exactly what i want. it looks like the kind of thing that will only turn up on ebay every other blue moon though.

Archived