Is anyone using a MacBook (or Mini) with external LCD & Powered Monitors?

• Members

Hey guys

Was just wondering if any of you were using a MacBook or Mac Mini with external LCD monitor and an external audio interface going to (grounded) powered monitor speakers?

The reason I ask is I have a high pitched whine going through my system any time I use an external audio interface when an LCD monitor is connected to my Mac Mini.

Unplug the LCD from the Mac and the grounding loop goes away.

After scouring the net it seems that I am not alone and have found heaps of reports of similar problems - so just thought I'd check if ANYONE here has a setup like this running successfully.

Also - If you have a setup like this, could you please add your LCD, Soundcard and Monitor specs so I can see if there is a trend.

Cheers!

• Members

The LCD is likely the weak link. Didn't you post about this before?

Yes - It's an ongoing problem. I've been testing various pieces of gear in my setup and still having problems.

If the LCD is the weak link, what is the solution? A different brand?

I'm using a fairly standard 22" Dell Monitor.

• Members

i've used several external monitors with a powerbook g4 and interfaces ranging from a MOTU 828 and 24 i/o firewire to tascam us122 and presonus whatchamacallit. the 8 channel mic pre one. firebox i think.

i had that problem, actually, with an HP flat panel monitor... 15 inch square, an older model, sorry don't remember the specs. currently have the really inexpensive wal mart 110 dollar 17 inch widescreen LCD and it does not have this problem.

have you changed any of the brightness settings on your monitor? that helped to alleviate the noises on mine when i had it, but they never went away. i would just try a different monitor if i were you.

• Members

Yes - It's an ongoing problem. I've been testing various pieces of gear in my setup and still having problems.

If the LCD is the weak link, what is the solution? A different brand?

I'm using a fairly standard 22" Dell Monitor.

Does the buzz go away when you unplug the monitor? If so, the monitor is likely the problem. The only solution is a different monitor, as we have established "ground (earth) lift" plugs do not exist in Australia.

• Members

Does the buzz go away when you unplug the monitor? If so, the monitor is likely the problem. The only solution is a different monitor, as we have established "ground (earth) lift" plugs do not exist in Australia.

Yes - the buzz goes away when I unplug the monitor.

Unfortunately, the only other monitor I have to test it with is exactly the same - and thus, the same problem exists.

I'm not exactly sure how I'm supposed to get a few different LCD monitors home just 'to test'.

• Members

Alternatively - a store in my city said that an ART DT1 Isolation Transformer would solve the problem (when placed between the MBox2Mini and the powered speakers).

Is it worth picking one up or is this only going to 'cover up' the problem?

I'd rather get rid of it at the source.

Archived