Dual weighted/unwieghted controller

lerber3

• Members

I was wondering if there would be a market for a two manual keyboard with a lower weighted keyboard and an upper unweighted keyboard.  I think Korg, Roland, and Nord all make keyboards with both piano/EP and organ/synth patches.  Nord already makes a dual manual organ (I had a C1 for a while)... this would be like an Electro 4D and an Electro HP in one unit. 

The total weight of a dual manual keyboard would be far lighter than two Electros, and the flexibility of two assignable keybeds would be nearly perfect.  I actually have several weighted and unwieghted keyboards, but I'm a lazy SOB and I don't like hauling, setting up, or looking over a stack of keyboards... so I usually just haul the Stage or Electro HP (depending on exactly how lazy I am feeling).  It is also difficult to set up multiple keybeds close together without hiding the controls for the bottom keyboard.

Any love for this idea?

• Members

Yeah, this has come up now and then on another forum, there are definitely some people who would like to see this, and I see the appeal.

But weight is actually more of an issue than you think, because of how big the chassis has to be, how it has to be designed to support two keyboards. So it is not accurate to say that "the total weight of a dual manual keyboard would be far lighter than two Electros."

For example, the Hammond SK2 is more than the weight of two SK1's. (And the Nord C2D is more than twice the weight of the E4D, though there are some other differences there... the Hammond makes for a purer example since the electronics and controls are the same.) These boards, while light for what they are, aren't quite featherweights. So now add the weight of a weighted action for one of their manuals (and perhaps other structural changes to support the additional size and weight of that keyboard), combined with the overall larger size, I don't know how easy it's going to be to carry around.

I think you're better off putting something like a 24 lb Casio PX-5S (or other 20-something from Roland, Yamaha, Numa) under your VR-09/SK1/E4D/NS2-73 whatever, get exactly the combination you want, probably lower total weight than a dual-action board would be, easier to carry (i.e. in two pieces), full 88 keys on bottom if you want them. I think the trick is getting the ideal stand!

• Members

I think the weight of a dual manual (88/73) controller/keyboard would be less than two such units separately, and I have been dreaming of such a keyboard for some time. For me, the main reason is the playability, ergonmically speaking, of something like this. The two keybeds could easily be very close together, thus far more comfortsble to play that way. I have a Roland A80 and A70 and would love to have both combined in the same overall, dual manual package, with all the controls easily accessible, and the two manuals close together.

• Members

progfan wrote:

I think the weight of a dual manual (88/73) controller/keyboard would be less than two such units separately

Why do you think that, when the evidence (as I pointed out) is to the contrary? A Hammond SK2 is basically two Hammond SK1 in a single box... actually less, because some things are not duplicated (there is only one control panel, less total electronics, only a single power source, etc.), yet an SK2 weighs more than two SK1 weighs. The cabinetry to house and support the two boards adds more weight than what is saved by removing duplication.

progfan wrote:

For me, the main reason is the playability, ergonmically speaking, of something like this. The two keybeds could easily be very close together, thus far more comfortsble to play that way.

I agree that is very desirable! What I try to do is combine a very shallow lower keyboard, with little or nothing in the way of controls I need to leave accessible above the keys, and put the front of the next keyboard right on top of the lower keyboard, as far forward as I can, and use a stand that supports the rear of that second keyboard. By choosing the right keyboards and stands, you can get the two boards very close to each other.

see 

http://instagram.com/p/gvYhxWLjFF/

http://instagram.com/p/gvZTpfLjGJ/

http://instagram.com/p/gvZgw1LjGV/

Weighted 88 and unweighted 73, each weighing 20-something pounds

Archived