BEATLES GEAR

techristian

• Members

So we were in Chapters book store yesterday and my wife stumbled upon this book. I went over to the attached Starbucks to get a coffee and sit down. She came over the book and started leafing through is slowly starting in the early years of the Beatles.She is a guitar player, so she didn't mind looking at all of the guitars and I already knew that Ringo played Ludwig drums so I didn't really care about that. Anyway I kept insisting that she move to the late 60's so that I could see the SYNTHS that the Beatles used. So when we finally got there ,here is what I discovered. They mostly used VOX keyboards at the very beginning, then invested in a Mellotron , Rhodes, and finally the MOOG shown in that picture.

Synths were not really commercially available in the earlier part of their career. The Model IIIP Moog that was used by George didn't make its debut until Abbey Road, although George had used it on an earlier solo album called Electronic Sound.

Of course the Beatles used lots of keyboards on their recordings... harmonium, grand piano, treated ("tacked") piano, Lowery and Hammond organs, Rhodes, Wurlitzer and Hohner electric pianos, Mellotrons, harpsichord, Baldwin Electric Harpsichord, Clavioline, Celeste, Vox Continental organ, etc. etc.

I have a copy of Beatles Gear - it's a well-written book that has a lot of good information in it. I think Recording The Beatles is more comprehensive, but I'm glad I have both.

• Members

Being a Beatle fanboy (or fangirl) can lead to acquiring an education of sorts in music gear, composition, mixing, and related good things.

The resources available are pretty incredible - in addition to the ones out there about the gear:

[h=1]The Beatles Recording Sessions: The Official Abbey Road Studio Session Notes 1962-1970 by Mark Lewisohn

Here, There and Everywhere: My Life Recording the Music of the Beatles by Geoff Emerick[/h] [h=1]The Beatles Recording Reference Manual: Volume 1: My Bonnie through Beatles For Sale (1961-1964)

The Beatles Recording Reference Manual: Volume 2: Help! through Revolver (1965-1966) both by Jerry Hammack[/h] and this one - expensive but by lots of accounts, amazing...

Recording the Beatles by Kevin L. Ryan (lots of scalpers selling this for $400 - $1000. Get it from the publisher Curvebender Publishing for $100 from the website.)

There are just a few among all that's out there...

nat

Archived