Bad at EQ and Changing Mics Mid-Album... Help?

damajackal

• Members

This is probably a stupid question but...

I'm working on an album. I recorded vocal tracks for 7 songs using an old AKG Perception 200. They sounded pretty nice, until I bought a Shure SM7B and tracked 3 songs on that. I'm definitely using the Shure for the last 4 songs. It suits my voice (and, of course, cost more)!

So, I'd really hate to go redo 7 songs. I like the performances (if not the capturing of them), and they're probably similar enough to fool most (BUT I'LL ALWAYS KNOW).

I'm wondering if there's a way to EQ the AKG to sound more like the Shure?

That's pretty vague, so I'll tell you what I'm hearing. The Shure is a little more full and bass-y, but the biggest difference is in the high end. The AKG gives an almost whisper-y quality to everything, and especially to really breath-y phrases. If you compare them, it sounds like someone is very lightly breathing along with my words on the AKG track.

I'm no EQ master (in fact, I'm an idiot), but I played around and could kind of get the bassiness , but couldn't remove the whisper quality without really dulling the overall tone. It's so weird how I never noticed this whisperish feel for 2.5 albums until I tried a better mic. Ugh.

Anyhow... any advice?

ps. I use Reaper.

pps. Clearly, I'm a little sloppy and clueless.

• Moderators

I also have the SM7B. Its a relatively even sounding mic and unlike a lot of condenser mics, it doesn't have the exaggerated high frequencies. Its not really possible to mimic another mic exactly but if you want to get the tonal balance to be closer to the SM7B, then I would use an EQ high-shelf filter to cut some frequencies above 8khz.

Have you considered trying something like Waves Q-Clone EQ? You could use that to sample a SM7 track and apply its frequency curve to the AKG tracks... then follow that up with another EQ for whatever general tone shaping (if any) you want to do for the individual tracks.

It's a hundred dollar plugin, so it's not a free option, but it's not that expensive. I'd recommend downloading the demo version (if they offer one) and trying it out to see if it works for you or not.

• Members
(BUT I'LL ALWAYS KNOW)

Always is a very long time. How long would it take for you to sing the parts again with the new mic (compared to always)?

I would suggest you at least try re-doing the parts then compare them to the original ones where you like the performances and decide which is more important to you the performance or the sound of the microphone.

• Members

If you think you can do the vocals better than what you had, then do them over with the new mic!

Also, don`t think that because your new mic costs me that thats the reason it sounds better on your voice. I have recorded with mics that costs $5,000 and I have recorded with $30 mics and the truth is, each mic has its own personality and character and each mic has has surprising results.

Archived