Hey -- Want a Free Dual Monitor Setup?

Anderton

• Members

Well, not really, but almost...go to http://www.fatfreesoft.com and download the free program DoubleDesktop (sorry, it's Windows only). It basically duplicates your desktop, and flips between the two desktops with a click in the sys tray or a user definable hot key. For example, with a DAW, you can stick the track view window on one desktop, the virtual mixer view on the other desktop, then toggle between them.

When I'm on the road, it's great for writing reviews: I have Word on one desktop, and the software I'm reviewing on the other.

This is a cool program that doesn't take up much resources, works well, and is easy to remove if you don't like it...highly recommended!! (Note that if you use it commercially, there is a nominal license fee.)

• Members

This is great. I just put it on my laptop that has a huge 12" screen...it instantly doubled my real estate. I already use dual monitors for my Daw setup, but this little laptop does most of my email/surfing etc.

Thanks Craig!

Barry

• Members

I did try this awhile back and it is slick. The problem for me is when you come back to the original screen with the Sonar Trackview, it's lost the focus as a program does anytime you have to click on any thing in tool bar/tray.

Even using hot key strokes doesn't keep from losing focus. Thus you have to make a mouse click.

Using the standard Ctrl/Tab stroke for the Sonar windows and Alt/Tab stroke for program switches, Sonar/Reason/GigaStudio ends up being the quickest and most efficient.

• Members

Even using hot key strokes doesn't keep from losing focus. Thus you have to make a mouse click.

I hear ya, but I never found this to be much of a problem, because when I shift over to the other screen it's to do something, which is going to require a mouse click anyway.

Well, I'm running a dual monitor setup with a third extension screen for my main DAW machine, so I don't know how much use it will be to me there, but I think I'll give it a try anyway. It kind of conceptually reminds me of a PT utility called Windowplacer. I'm sure I can find some way to make it useful to me - even if it is only for one of my single display systems. Thanks for the tip on a cool utility Craig! :cool:

• Members

What's so cool is that if you have a dual monitor setup, this doubles the desktop for each one of those, so you end up with a QUAD monitor setup!! For example, with Sonar I usually end up with the track view in one monitor, the mixer in the other, and the loop construction window stretched across the two. With DoubleDesktop, I stick the soft synth interfaces into the other half of the left monitor and the plug-in processor interfaces into the other half of the right monitor. It's quite cool.

Cool - so I can have my PT edit and mix windows open, plus my Studio Manager window for my Yamaha digital board AND still have screen real estate for various other PT windows - markers, transport, CPU useage, etc. and quickly switch between the four windows... That does sound useful! Thanks again Craig! :)

• Members

This is similar to the multiple desktops in Unix/Linux - - typically there are 4 screens for each user, and you can run multiple windows/programs in each.

- - - - - - --

I've found another approach to a 'free' dual monitor setup - - I have a video card that (I thought) has just a single VGA jack, plus SVideo and DVI outputs for a video display.

It turns out that there is available a simple converter plug that goes into the DVI jack, and converts it to VGA. Presto, instant dual output!

• Members

Not really, because the taskbar lets you switch between programs easily, but not windows for an individual program. I mentioned using several programs just because once you get into the double desktop way of doing things, you tend to just click over to the other screen, particularly because you can have a couple programs open at once. When using the taskbar, you can call up only one program, not make several visible at the same time.

Phil, I'll be curious to hear what you think after you check it out!

Well, I just finished a very long and somewhat difficult session, and I'm taking the next two days off... I'll spend some time in the studio and have some time to play with it tomorrow. It will be nice to have a bit of a break for a couple of days... I have not been able to do that for the past few weeks.

Busy is good, and you worry when it gets a little slow, but TOO busy is equally troubling. ;)

I'll definitely let you know what I think tomorrow Craig - thanks again for the heads up!

It's okay Craig, I know how to handle Phil... besides, I have a larger arsenal than he does. :eek:;)

BTW, I tried installing this last night, but I had a corrupted download - I'll try it again later tonight after I get done with my session and let you know what I think. I'm re-downloading it now. :)

Archived