data recovery from a DVD???

Ryst

• Members

I know you can use data recovery software to save data from a hard drive, but what about a DVD? I have 2 very important sessions on a DVD that my G5 won't read very well. When I try to copy the files back to my hard drive, it reads very slow and then I always get an error message stating that one or more files could not be read so it stops the copying process. I need all the aiff files so I can remix everything. I would like to recover everything if I could. Any ideas? Is this possible?:confused: :confused: :confused:

• Members

Depends on the damage really --

often, there is a lot of data there in "raw" form, but the filesyste is compromised - even with HDD, a lot of reconstruction is making a "byte by byte" image and reconstructing from there (if you alter the drive contents...there are legal questions about using it as evidence, if you try a recovery that doesn't work and destructively writess your screwed, etc)

It is possible for a recovery technician, but it can be a largley manual process

places like

www.ontrack.com

should be able to help you out

• Members

Originally posted by Anderton

Borrow a firewire DVD drive, or wire an internal drive in place of the existing one temporarily, and try that. Sometimes a DVD will read back better on one drive than another.

Even if the drive it's not reading correctly on is the drive it was originally burned on???:confused:

• Members

Originally posted by Ryst

Even if the drive it's not reading correctly on is the drive it was originally burned on???
:confused:

yup -- if you're not sure the disk itself is actually damaged (my apologies, I'd sort of assumed you had confirmed actual damage) , try it in a couple different drives

I think you're thinking in terms of speed, head alignment, etc, but maybe the read optics are just so where you aren't getting a good read

sometimes that kind of stuff just happens

• Members

1) drag & drop file by file from DVD to HD.

make a list of the ones who don't transfer.

2) try to make a copy of the DVD with the burning program you used

3) try to make a copy at a friend place with another burner

4) next time make a error check who compares the burned data with the ones on the HD, and then delete the data from the HD

Archived