The things you learn in liner notes...

the stranger

• Members

Seemed like a good :idea:-~ for a thread.

Some of the great jazz I'm listening to was considered "bad jazz" due to the r&b nature of it. The fact all these cats are black probably didn't help. :eek:-~

NP:

Ramsey Lewis Trio The In Crowd

Charles Kynard Brotherhood of Soul

Bill Jennings/McDuff Legends of Acid Jazz

Idris Mohammad Legends of Acid Jazz :eek:-~ Wow.

• Members

I just bought an album from a worship leader that until recently resided in Detroit. As I was looking for his keyboard player's name in the liner notes, I learned he is now on staff in Dallas instead. His band changed completely! I would have probably never have known this otherwise.

• Members

I collected the CD's of the late, raunchy Texas comic Bill Hicks in the 1990's.

One day I looked carefully at the liner notes and saw that the recordings were mastered in Austin by an old friend of mine I'd known 20 years earlier-- in the 1970's-- named Fred Remmert.

Fred and his brother Travy used to do a superb folk/guitar/vocal act together in Texas clubs in the 1970's.

What a surprise to see his name crop up after not knowing his whereabouts for two decades.

• Members

Many will learn they need reading glasses trying to read the microscopic print on some liner notes. I'm quite myopic, so I just remove my glasses to read the fine print, but I swear that some of them are smaller than the product disclaimers that explain you may get some fatal disease if you use the contents and breathe at the same time.

This issue, and the small area for art are two reasons I miss 12.25 X 12.25 inch album covers.

• Members

I just tossed an old Pirates Of The Mississippi cassette. Before I threw it out I read the liner notes and found a hearty thanks to The Sutler, a small bar I'd worked at in 2000 that was razed a year ago. The bar was around for about 3 decades and saw its' share or big stars when they were anything but big, but that was the first and only reference to the place I've ever seen.

• Members

I found out by reading the liner notes of Vinnie Colauita's solo album

that one of the mix engineers on the recording was the drummer of

the progressive rock band Shylock - he'd taken up production after

Shylock split.

I find all kinds of connections like that.

Also, on the Soma CD that is my avatar that Maureen McCormick

did a vocal performance on a track that Allan Holdsworth played on.

This means Marsha Brady and Allan Holdsworth have a one degree

of connection! And, that Sharona Alperin (of "My Sharona" fame)

is also on the same track!

Archived